1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon2047, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I am on a fixed term contract having started my first NQT role in January. It ends in July. There is no chance of a permanent post and I would like to resign so that I can leave at Easter.

There have been a lot of negative things happen which I am not happy about but have tried to go with the positives. I am concerned that by being 'locked in' until July, for want of a better word, I could miss out on the chance of a permanent position. I also have a very long and expensive commute.

If I left and gave my reasons as being available should a position come up and the distances concerned, would that be a suitable explanation for both the school I leave and any prospective one?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Jamie

2. I am on a fixed term contract having started my first NQT role in January. It ends in July. There is no chance of a permanent post and I would like to resign so that I can leave at Easter.

There have been a lot of negative things happen which I am not happy about but have tried to go with the positives. I am concerned that by being 'locked in' until July, for want of a better word, I could miss out on the chance of a permanent position. I also have a very long and expensive commute.

If I left and gave my reasons as being available should a position come up and the distances concerned, would that be a suitable explanation for both the school I leave and any prospective one?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Jamie

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually there's not many jobs which come up for Easter starts, so I would try and stay until July. It will look much better on your referenceand proves your 'stickability'.
    As you've only been at the school since January, you've hardly really had time to settle in. Even 'experienced' teachers might not have completely settles and you're dealing with your NQT too!
    A lot of the posts advertised between March to June/July will be for Sept. starts, so don't worry about being 'locked in' and as you've been informed it's only temporary they will be expecting you to stay till the end of the contract, but expect you to start job-hunting for Sept soon.
    Keep going with those positives! You might find by Easter you actually do feel a lot more settled.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If so, you need to hand in your resignation by 29th February.
    It is fairly unlikely that a permanent position would come up for the summer term. A September start is more likely, actually. There may be some temporary ones and just a handful of permanent ones.
    Not really . . . to be giving up a term's job and risk unemployment will seem a little excentric; the school that you are applying to will certainly think that there was another reason, and may even think that you jumped before you were pushed.
    I'm sorry to be so negative here, but this is a buyer's market, and you are selling. The school will have a large number of applicants for any permanent post (or even for a temporary one), and the slightest thing out-of-the-ordinary could make them move on to the next application form.
    The only positive that I can see here is not one that will affect you: it would leave another unemployed teacher with a chance to get a term's work.
    Is there nobody that you could talk to at school, to help you over this difficult patch? The first half term has been hard, and I can understand that, but with more support you might be able to make a go of it. Try asking for help.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

5. Hi,

Thanks so much for replying so late on a Sunday evening. Very good advice but unfortunately you have confirmed what I didn't really want to hear!

Many thanks
    Jamie

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com