1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Terrydj26, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hello. I would like to briefly explain my circumstances and then ask for some advice. I am a native Spanish, BA in English Stuies and MA in Education. I have British QTS and worked as teacher of English as a Foreign Language in a Secondary School in Birmingham in 2001-2002. Of course, that was a long time ago. I moved back to Spain on maternity leave and then my daughter was diagnosed with PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, within the autistic spectrum) which kept me in Spain and away from work and teaching most of this time.
    I moved to Belgium a year ago but I must admit this was a mistake, as it is impossible fro me to get a teaching job here. Therefore, I will be moving back to the UK next month or in February. I have, however, been sending application forms for this past year (dozens!) for teaching posts in the Uk (mainly of EFL and Spanish) and was never shortlisted for an interview. My biggest doubt is whether the fact that I am at the moment outside the UK is the main drawback or if it will still be so difficult when I am there again. If there is any piece of advice that you can give me on how to apply or what I should do to increase my chances of getting back into teaching, I would very much appreciate it. Thak you so much for your time.
    Teresa.

2. Thank you so much for replying. I really need some feedback as I have been away from the UK for years now. I also think the time that has passed since I was last teaching in England is a problem. I will keep trying though. I have read that there is quite a demand for supply teachers as well.
    Thank you again for your reply :)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just take a look at the numerous posts on Supply forum which shows this is NOT the case generally.

4. I have been reading some of the posts on the supply teaching thread and no... it is not very encouraging. How things have changed since the last time I was there! Anyway... I'm used to working in all sorts of crappy jobs in Spain (there is nothing llike a "permanent job" in Spain, the term does not even exist), so I will try to simply get a job in whatever field when I get to the UK, as getting one in teaching seems to be more of a headache right now than anything else, and I'll keep sending application forms whenever I see vacancies, just in case miracles might happen :D
    Thanks again for the advice and for your time!