1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Dec 13, 2011.

1. I went to visit a school not too long ago and decided not to apply. It was a thoroughly lovely school BUT I also had a nosey around the area and realised that it really wouldn't suit me- I'd go stark raving mad within months. Also, the attitude of the member of SLT showing me around was, well, bigoted to say the least and seemed to be shared by several of the staff- and if they're happy to let me know these views at a time when we should all be trying to impress one another, I'd dread to think what it would be like further down the line. (For the record, some of the bigotry would directly affect me, though they wouldn't have known this just by meeting me.)

So, I decided not to apply. Fine, a few other schools lined up that suit somewhat better, fingers crossed, etc. However, a few days after the deadline, I got a voicemail from the school expressing disappointment that I'd missed the deadline and to please give them a call.
    Question is, what to do? Ignore the message? Call back and mutter about the location reason? I'm veering away from being brutally honest- I'm well aware of how quickly word can travel and don't want to go rocking the boat.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give
    Allie

2. I went to visit a school not too long ago and decided not to apply. It was a thoroughly lovely school BUT I also had a nosey around the area and realised that it really wouldn't suit me- I'd go stark raving mad within months. Also, the attitude of the member of SLT showing me around was, well, bigoted to say the least and seemed to be shared by several of the staff- and if they're happy to let me know these views at a time when we should all be trying to impress one another, I'd dread to think what it would be like further down the line. (For the record, some of the bigotry would directly affect me, though they wouldn't have known this just by meeting me.)

So, I decided not to apply. Fine, a few other schools lined up that suit somewhat better, fingers crossed, etc. However, a few days after the deadline, I got a voicemail from the school expressing disappointment that I'd missed the deadline and to please give them a call.
    Question is, what to do? Ignore the message? Call back and mutter about the location reason? I'm veering away from being brutally honest- I'm well aware of how quickly word can travel and don't want to go rocking the boat.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give
    Allie

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, you have to make the following decisions. I'll guess some of your answers, if I'm wrong then you take a different path.
    1. Would you prefer working there as a last resort to being unemployed? If yes, then reply and apply. If no, go to 2.
    2. Do you want to work in this area ever? If no, ignore it. If yes, go to 3.
    3. Do you care about spoiling your chances a bit with other schools run by mates of this school? If no, you don't care much about that, tell them that the school didn't fit in with your ethos. If Yes, you do care about that, then . . .
    Invent some nice reason why not applying. Say you thought that it had some really good points (name some), but having gone there to visit you realised that the commute would just be too tiring so you wouldn't be able to contribute as you would wish to. And add that you really appreciate them taking the time to contact you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thank you Theo, exactly what I was hoping to hear.
    I'm a PGCE student and still fairly early on in my course, so it's not quite a case (yet) or go for it or be unemployed. But I'm very anti-rock-the-boat and would rather stay on good terms.
    Many thanks Theo