1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sulas, Dec 6, 2011.

1. HI
    wrote on this forum some weeks ago about being successful at interview for a more senior role with a TLR and closer to home. The new head then decided that i wasn't wanted anymore and put me on gardening leave until the end of term. Yes very odd and no real reason given.
    I now have more free time ( whne I'm not Christmas shopping etc ha ha!) and would be able to visit my new school when ever I like ( i have been invited to do so).
    My Question is:
    Will my new school think it is odd that I am available to come in and visit and will it look bad that I have been put on gardening leave? Should I tell them - now or if it comes up that I am now free?
    I must confess that i tend to feel I am being disciplined for something, I know not what.
    Really unsure how to deal with this rather strange situation.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. HI
    wrote on this forum some weeks ago about being successful at interview for a more senior role with a TLR and closer to home. The new head then decided that i wasn't wanted anymore and put me on gardening leave until the end of term. Yes very odd and no real reason given.
    I now have more free time ( whne I'm not Christmas shopping etc ha ha!) and would be able to visit my new school when ever I like ( i have been invited to do so).
    My Question is:
    Will my new school think it is odd that I am available to come in and visit and will it look bad that I have been put on gardening leave? Should I tell them - now or if it comes up that I am now free?
    I must confess that i tend to feel I am being disciplined for something, I know not what.
    Really unsure how to deal with this rather strange situation.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn.
    Are you not in a union? If so, ask them what on earth is happening. If not, join one now, ready to get support if you need it in the future.
    Frankly, yes.
    Gardening leave is normally used to get rid of someone you don't want, or - and this just just might be your case - because someone has commercially valuable information that could be useful to a competitor. Seems unlikely, unless these are independent schools, and your old school is planning something that they don't want you to know in case you take it to the new school.
    Have you had a contract yet from the new school? Schools are often very lax about this and sometimes don't get them to you until after you have joined them. I would be very wary about rocking the boat until you have signed and sealed the whole thing. Can you just not go in very much - about the same that you would if actually working?
    Since you don't really know what it is for, I wouldn't.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Theo, I am in a union - the big one! It was actually my union rep that first told me the head was going to 'offer' me gardening leave and advised me to accept it. As it happens it wasn't actually an offer it was an order and i had to negotiate quite strongly to ensure that parents and chn were told prior to my leaving school. The head wanted me to leave immediately,
    The union rep was already involved because of lack of support in dealing with a particularly unruly chd in my class.
    The reason she gave for her decision was that we are a school in NI and were expecting a visit from ofsted. I felt rather insulted that she was questioning my professionalism. To clarify - there is absolutely no good reason for the situation i find myself in.
    I have been invited in to the new school simply to get a feel and discuss my new role which is a mentoring / supporting / subject development role in the first instance - so not in the usual run of things and therefore a visit would be useful for me.
    Both schools are state primary schools.
    Thank you for your advise - i think i will go in as i would if i was still working so it doesn't raise any eyebrows so to speak.