1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo -

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Nov 26, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hi,
    Right well I've written lesson plan and prepared my resources (These may change though). Also half way through preparing for the interview by looking on here, looking through everything I have, and doing the things from the seminar. A teaching friend is also going to give me a mock interview beforehand, but I have a question again - Sorry!
    I obviously know that a question that I am likely to be asked is something along the line of '' You're not primary trained, why should we employ you, etc etc?'' For an indepedent school, but sure they will ask this too. I usually say something along the lines of -
    • I have a lot of experience in KS1 and KS2, both long and short term, and even more so these days. I have done assessments at primary level, and had parent's evening within the primary school setting, plus my references are both from Primary Heads.
    • I have also had a lot of experience in extra-curricular activities both music and sport etc, etc. I also say that I prefer primary, but not that because I think it's easier than secondary, just different. Also familair with National Curriculum of KS1 and KS2 etc, etc.
    Are these the type of things I should be saying, or should I be saying something completely different?
    Thanks[​IMG] x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't stress too much welshchocoholic. They may not even ask the question- after all they have invited you to interview and have a record of your Primary experience with your application. (At my HLTA interview I thought they'd ask why I was prepared to work as an HLTA when I'm a qualified teacher but it wasn't even asked) As far as I'm aware in the interests of fairness and equality, all candidates have to have the same questions, so if it can't be asked of <u>all</u> candidates . . .
    Well done for getting your planning well under way. A mock interview sounds good too!
    Personally (and will be interesting to hear Theo's ideas) I think an Independant school is likely to be much more interested in how you are going to contribute to the life of their school. What YOU will bring to the school to enhance it's reputation. So think of all those extra-curricular things you can offer. Good discipline, good relationships with parents (parents tend to be much more involved than in state schools even higher up the school) , high expectations etc.

3. As Lara says, they'll have your application form so should know about your primary experience. However, I have always been told to back up what I say with examples. So IF they do ask you anything like that don't just say I have experience of KS1/2, but maybe exactly what your experience is/why you enjoyed it. (Although, like I said they should be able to get that from the application). Don't panic and GOOD LUCK. XXX

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For the independent school interview, you will wish to emphasise things that are important to them. This will include your contribution overall to the wider education of the pupils - you're going to offer a Spanish Club, aren't you? It will also include dealing sensitively with parents, keeping them well informed (and happy). Keeping parents happy is very important. |Have a little browse on the Independent Forum here on the TES.
    But it is not actually true, of course, that they will be mostly interested in your extra-curricular offerings, so don't be waylaid by that. It is the quality of teaching that will count. Tip: see if you can get an idea from their exam results, or the sort of senior schools that their pupils go to (Top schools, high fliers, or just solid stuff?), so that you can have a feel for the level. You need to have a Plan B in case your work is too easy - they will expect you to have high expectations for the pupils, as Lara says. In my school, for example, the pupils were about 2 years ahead of state school pupils in the Maths and English. So have something else up your sleeve, just in case.
    Why you want to work at this school, why you want to teach Primary, why they should appoint you - come on, you know this, we went over it in the seminar!
    Almost but not quite true, Lara. If it were entirely true, you needn't bother much with an interview panel , just sit them down with a tape recording of questions, and video them answering!
    Best practice (not "have to have the same questions", just best practice) is to have Lead Questions the same. Follow-up questions will be different, as they will be based on the candidate's answer to the Lead Question. And questions that are specific to only one candidate can also be asked as appropriate - and asking about their professional experience (their education, training, other schools or jobs) is an obvious case here.
    Best wishes (Have sent you a PM, Welshie).
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. welshchocoholic1

Thank you all again[​IMG]. Not stressed today, just thinking x

6. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG]
    Did this earlier today.
    Thought so so have planned for more Year 6 with differentiation/extension, rather than for Year 4, and have a plan B.
    Thanks again[​IMG] x