1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shaneduffy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, I'm hoping you might have some advice for me. I am an Irish qualified teacher with 16 years classroom experience at post primary level. I have spent the last 10 years working in 3rd level eduaction. I now wish to return to teaching in the UK but am struggling to even get an interview. I feel schools see me as an expensive option and too long outside the classroom. Would you see this as an accurate reading and would you have any advice on how to make myself more marketable? Best wishes.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes. it's tough for all expereienced ( and therefore expensive) staff these days. Look at the number of people posting here who have UK experience and can't get shortlisted.
    As to how to make yourself more marketable, well can you do any voluntary work to get some recent experience? I appreciate how difficult that is, with CRBS etc., as that's how I've had most of my long-term supply work, but now with re-organisation and school closures, I'm having the same difficulty finding a school myself and getting myself known again.
    Supply-if it's possible to get some might be a way in, but as many of us will tell you that's thin on the ground these days.
    A lot will depend on where you live and your subject area.
    See what others say though. Mine is just one point of view in an area where teachers can stay in post from NQT to retirement!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Now my first problem, which will presumably also be a problem for any school receiving an application from you, is that I don't really understand some of what you are saying!
    ?? Do you mean Secondary?
    ??? Do you mean FE?
    Neither of these phrases mean anything to someone in England, I'm afraid, and therein lies your problem: our lack of familiarity with what you do, and more importantly, therefore, our belief that you have a lack of familiarity with what <u>we</u> do.
    Yes, quite possibly.
    Without a doubt.
    The basic problem is twofold: schools, i.e. Heads, are subject in England to a fierce Inspection programme, two days' notice, and if the school isn't up to scratch, the Head's head can roll. So they are going to play safe and appoint someone who has relevant experience and an understanding of the system.
    The second part is that there is a surplus, a regular glut, of UK trained and UK experienced teachers who are looking for a small number of jobs.
    A school will be looking for:
    • Familiarity with the latest subject developments
    • Familiarity with the current educational trends - AfL etc.
    • Familiarity with the subject specification for examinations.
    • Awareness of CP and safeguarding
    • H&S, including risk assessments, for all practical subjects
    • evidence that after time out of the classroom, you can manage discipline
    The way to get these is, of course, to work in a school. But you cannot get work in a school unless you have these . . . Doing exam marking might help a bit, and if you are very lucky (or a Maths teacher in Central London) you might get some supply work.
    But it would be dishonest of me to let you believe that there is a lot that you can do to become more marketable, in a market where there are so many teachers who DO have the above in spades.
    |Sorry to be so negative, not what you wanted to hear, I know, but someone needed to say it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Google Supply Agencies London and then contact them.
    But to encourage you to sign with them, they will want to tell you what you want to hear: that they can get you lots of work.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars