1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MDHowarth, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I understand that you do not hand out advice, ideas or anything else on interview observations, however I am stuck with what the school are looking for. My interview observation will be with a year 1 class and I have been asked to do a storytelling lesson for 15minutes, does this mean they are simply looking for me to tell a story for 15minutes with some questioning of the children to check understanding and that they are following and to see how I interact with the children or are they looking for a mini literacy lesson on (for example) Stories from a range of cultures? With the children doing some actual work? I was worried about asking someone at the school this as jit is my first interview let alone interview observation and I was nervous about sounding like I didn't knwo what I was doing...
    Any help would be fantastic,
    Many thanks
    Matt

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that interview!
    As hard for me to guess as it is for you, so mine is only a guess.
    My guess is that you are being interviewed as a teacher, not just as a story-telling Uncle. So they are likely to expect you to teach something, even if it is only a moral in the story.
    But interaction will be important too, including making all the children feel included.
    Best wishes!
    PS I am just about to send you a PM - open your Inbox, top right when you are logged in.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars