1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Independent' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I have decided to attempt to move into the indy sector [​IMG]
    I have been doing supply as an NQT this year and I have just spotted an advert for a TA in an independent school - supporting learning and the extra curricular activities.
    My questions are:
    1) How do indy HTs view on supply teaching? I know you view it postitively, but overall, what is the view?
    2) Would working in an indy school in a supporting role, put HTs off from appointing me as a teacher later on? I know it would support my application in terms of extra curricular experience and working within the sector itself.
    Thank you.

2. I have decided to attempt to move into the indy sector [​IMG]
    I have been doing supply as an NQT this year and I have just spotted an advert for a TA in an independent school - supporting learning and the extra curricular activities.
    My questions are:
    1) How do indy HTs view on supply teaching? I know you view it postitively, but overall, what is the view?
    2) Would working in an indy school in a supporting role, put HTs off from appointing me as a teacher later on? I know it would support my application in terms of extra curricular experience and working within the sector itself.
    Thank you.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rugby Gal - I jusdt cannot answer those two questions.
    Every school and every Head will be different.
    Certainly some will not recognise and value the many skills that teachers develop while doing supply. And there will certainly be some who would prefer someone who has current experience as a teacher rather than as a TA.
    But to be blunt: a job is a job, and if the choice is between being a TA or being unemployed, I would go for it.
    I think being a TA is rather nice - lots of pupil contact but less stress as less responsibility.
    Less pay as well, I know, but I still think that it is a nice job.
    Best of luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Once you're 'in' a school your role can always develop, e.g. if someone went off on maternity leave you could offer to cover the teaching role and they cover your usual role, or if a job came up they could give it to you. Being a timetabler myself you would be very welcome to someone who needs flexible people when it comes to doing the timetable.
    I think that some independent school people do not appreciate the demands of decent supply teaching because they do not use supply teachers themselves, in our school even a maternity leave this year has been covered internally, we just don't use supply teachers!

5. I saw my first 'Thank You TA' card today. Sign of the times?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some schools are finding that nearly every applicant for a TA post is a qualified teacher . . .
    another sign of the times!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.