1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Niffenegger, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I have got myself into abit of a pickle - I have a new headteacher, to whom I have stated on a number of occasions that I need to be challenged and given a new role (in fact I have been very vocal to everyone o SLT about this). A new role has been advertised and the head advised me to apply, which I did. I have since further looked into the course I would be promoting and I do not think it is a good course for our students, my conscience won't let me promote it. Therefore I would like to withdraw my application.
    Will I kill my career at this school after making such a fuss about needing promotion and now backing down? I would rather withdraw than take on a job I have no faith in.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Will it kill your career at that school? Probably.
    Are there other jobs at other schools that you could apply for? Yes, there are.
    I'm intrigued, by the way, that you began by saying you wanted to be 'challenged', but then this morphed into 'promoted' - the best way to get promoted is to find a job you want to do in a school that wants you to do it for them, rather than expecting your current headteacher to find you a promotion.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Agree with MiddleMarsh, but I am also slightly intrigued about the timeline.
    You apply for the job, and THEN investigate what it's all about?
    You could of course go ahead with the application, and then in interview come up with an alternative course that you believe to be better suited to the pupils' needs.
    Best wishes, whatever you decide.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.