1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sunflower13, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I went for my fourth interview yesterday.As usual I was the runner up.But the Head said she really liked me and asked me if she could pass my details for a maternity cover to another Head.I told her that I wasn't sure.Then she asked me if I could do supply at her school.I told her that if I do not find anything by next week ,I will take up on the offer.
    My dilemma is:
    Should I just stop the hunt and join as a supply or continue with the hunt again?
    On one hand ,I am clearly fed up of attending interviews but not being successful.It is a lovely village school and I am already a fan of the Head.
    On the other hand, the travel time is at least 30 min.I am still looking for the elusive permanent job.I have also been approached by some agencies for supply work.
    What do you think?
    Do I need to make a decision by next week as promised or call her and ask for some more time?
    Grateful for any comments.
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What a frustrating situation!
    What!
    You said No!
    What made you turn this down? It gets you in line for getting a FT job, even if only temporary, which is a good starting point for getting a permanent post - much better than supply. Mat posts are pretty good, you know, compared with supply.
    Most teachers would be overjoyed at this offer to put in a good word for you!
    What!
    You think that this is a disadvantage?
    Good gracious - we have people travelling nearly 2 hours in each direction - most teachers would grab any job under an hour!
    I'm afraid that my view is that you are being rather picky.
    What!
    You are asking her to put off all her planning by asking for even more time? That will make sure that she will think twice about offering you a FT permanent post, as already you have shown yourself not to be very flexible.
    Sorry - not what you wanted to hear!
    But I do think that you need to think about how much you actually want a job. You are giving me the impression that you only want one under your conditions.
    Which would be lovely, of course, but not very likely in the current climate.
    Sorry to seem to be so negative, but I read too many threads from too many teachers who are desperate for jobs and would love to be given these chances.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

3. I started on a mat cover this year which then led to a second job in another school that the head of my school used to work at. I went for an interview this year and a head recommended me to another school and I got the post there. I have only taken a post this year that is 'temp with a view to being made perm' but most of the jobs advertised at the current time are like this because schools are not sure about budgets in the longer term.
    Mat covers are a great way to gain employment and experience and I have found myself at an advtange this year as I have completed my NQT year at two different schools and feel viewed more favourably as I have secured posts, albeit temp ones - heads know what the present employment market is like.
    Personally I think you are mad to turn down the good word as this worked brilliantly for me. We would all love a perm post, there just aren't enough to go round :-(

4. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

[​IMG] I have to admit I was quite shocked when I read your post!!!
    I couldn't agree more with this:
    You just never know what it may lead to! I got my job on recommendation from an interview where I wasn't appointed - both the HoD and the Head got in touch with the school and told them about me....I was then told at interview "you come highly recommended" - what a compliment, and I then got the job. (And they already knew lots about me from the previous school, so the interview was not as gruelling as others I have been to!)
    Also, I am not sure I understand your travel problem? I think you will find the vast majority of people travel for at least half an hour if not longer to get to work! 30mins travelling time is nothing compared with what some are doing just to get jobs.
    However, I think the dilemma may be over for you, you have turned down an offer of help which did not need to be given, it was a real compliment to you....I doubt if the head will ask you again, and I'm certain they definitely won't be keen to give you extra time to think it over.
    Bobby Carrot and I are both proof of the power of a recommendation - what a shame that you didn't see this as an opportunity to make your name in that other school, which could have led to a FT post. Perhaps you haven't seen all the posts from teachers who are still desperate for jobs and would have loved to have been given this chance! [​IMG]

5. Thanks for all the comments.
    I forgot to add that the maternity cover job offer was for one term only.I am looking for a PT job for personal reasons. Perhaps I should have asked for more details about the mat cover.
    I have decided to call the Head tomorrow to ask about the supply offer.
    I want to assured of at least some amount of work in the year.I have heard that outstanding schools hardly have any supply jobs.

Theo,what questions should I be asking?I don't want to sound desperate or disinterested.
    Thanks

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ask questions which show that you are keen to give, to contribute, to be part of a team.
    Probably best to avoid questions which are on your behalf, if you see what I mean! Look at it all from their point of view.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

7. But a term's mat cover can lead to more work. I gained a post at my second school because of doing mat cover at the first school (head used to work their and the outgoing deputy fought to have me in front of her class) and I could have stayed at the first school at the mat cover did not come back until Easter and then someone else went off on mat cover, so the head has actually needed someone for the full year.
    A mat cover can lead to longer term work and at least gives you something to put on you CV/application and it buys you a term when you have work. Mat covers aren;t great in that they don't have to give you a massive amount of notice but at leat you would know you had regular work until December and can then regroup and apply for posts that come up after Christmas.
    That said, I guess we all have to do what is right for us. I couldn't afford not have a job at all so took the mat cover when it came up last year and haven't looked back since :)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Too true, Bobby.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.