1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by 700W, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Training companies can differ greatly. Some companies send their trainers out into the work place to teach students on the job. Others present their lessons in commercial looking buildings including office blocks; this is because a lot of their learners haven't had a good experience at school and these types of buildings are less intimidating.
    Unlike school, training companies provide a roll on roll off program therefore you could have new learners in your class each week.
    Training companies are businesses and you'll be required to meet targets inorder to keep your job. Targets can include achieving a ceratin pass rate as the company only gets paid for the learners who achieve a qualification.
    I've just completed a PGCE and am starting my first position with a training provider next week

2. Thanks for the reply.
    I've also got an interview planned for Wednesday but that is for a school. I really don't know what to do...

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for the interviews! And thanks to 700w for some good insights.
    The other big differences are, of course, that you will not be able to do induction (if you are a NQT - not clear), and your terms and conditions of employment will be very different. You will not get the sick leave, maternity pay, pension and security (relative security!) of employment that you get as a teacher.
    For example, teachers get 6 months full pay sick pay, and then 6 months at half pay, once they have been in post for 2 years - less before then. Most private employters give 30 days maximum at full pay.
    You may also find that you can be dismissed at 2 or 4 weeks' notice.
    But these are basically the difference between a job in the private and the state sectors.
    Don't forget to read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to get some useful tips for preparation.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I've just completed an FE based PGCE so I'm hoping to spend a year or so working in a training company to increase my subject knowledge and confidence before I apply for a job in a college and work my way up the ladder and eventually become a teacher trainer.

If you do decide to work as a teacher for a training company you can apply for QTLS - Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills and if you don't like it you van always leave and it won't stop you start your NQT year in a school.

Training companies are really good stepping stones for securing college positions and I have been told that private companies are a lot less stressful to work for (fingers crossed this is true). Class sizes are dramatically reduced - you can not fit more than 10 students' per class in the building that I am going to be working in but there is less job security compared to working in a state school.
    I have always been given this useful piece of advice - your first post isn't going to be your only post. Go with your gut. If it turns out not to be the right decision you can always leave and if you wait a year you'll have some solid teaching experience under your belt that will hopefully put you ahead of the competition next year.