1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, May 24, 2011.

1. I have followed your advice in the clickables and yet I have been rejected for the past 20 jobs that I've applied for. I have even started applying for TA posts, which I have also been rejected for. I read through the posts on the forum everytime I write a new application just in case there was something I missed. I have attended your seminar and I would like to use the application review service, but I can't afford it. The posts I have included an ES for haven't resulted in an interview.
    When I was at university, my tutor said to essentially group the key points of the PS that overlap together. I did this for one of my early application and made it to interview. I have since tried grouping the points together if they overlap and addressing the PS criteria individually. Are either acceptable? Or is the individual one preferred? I have had feedback from SMT and two headteachers who say it is a strong application, which doesn't really help. I have been to the university careers service who don't give one way or the other as the best way to approach this. They just read through them and tell me that they are well written.
    The only possible thing I can think of is that paragraphs I write on relationships with parents, colleagues and children are a bit generic, but how do I relate them to the school without sounding like I'm going to solve all their problems or promising the earth?
    On applications I have tried to say what I could bring to the school, but again, the same problem, do I say something like from your Ofsted I see that you are working on....., this is something I'm very knowledgeable about for example?
    Help!

2. I have followed your advice in the clickables and yet I have been rejected for the past 20 jobs that I've applied for. I have even started applying for TA posts, which I have also been rejected for. I read through the posts on the forum everytime I write a new application just in case there was something I missed. I have attended your seminar and I would like to use the application review service, but I can't afford it. The posts I have included an ES for haven't resulted in an interview.
    When I was at university, my tutor said to essentially group the key points of the PS that overlap together. I did this for one of my early application and made it to interview. I have since tried grouping the points together if they overlap and addressing the PS criteria individually. Are either acceptable? Or is the individual one preferred? I have had feedback from SMT and two headteachers who say it is a strong application, which doesn't really help. I have been to the university careers service who don't give one way or the other as the best way to approach this. They just read through them and tell me that they are well written.
    The only possible thing I can think of is that paragraphs I write on relationships with parents, colleagues and children are a bit generic, but how do I relate them to the school without sounding like I'm going to solve all their problems or promising the earth?
    On applications I have tried to say what I could bring to the school, but again, the same problem, do I say something like from your Ofsted I see that you are working on....., this is something I'm very knowledgeable about for example?
    Help!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Years ago when I asked a colleague to read over my application, she warned me that they binned applications with references to anecdotal family/ child experiences! (This was in refernce to my mentioning my experience with an autistic child who was a friend of my son's for whom I was the regular on-call supply to lessen disruption for him!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rugby Gal, what can I say?
    The situation is pretty dire at present for jobs. Masses fewer jobs, masses more applicants. If you are in competition with another hundred applicants - or more - it is always hard, however splendid your application.
    I am not going to be able to say anything to help you, I fear.
    As for the specific points that you raise, firstly about grouping things together, one school may like it as it shows an analytical and intelligent approach and another may think that you are ignoring or downplaying an important aspect. You just acn't tell.
    Same goes for the personal bit. Certainly the point about anecdotes is a wise one; on the other hand, you don't want to sound too clinically detached, your passion for children must come through.
    I told you that I wouldn't be able to say anything much of use, except Just Keep At It.
    After half term there will be more jobs, as people hand in their notice on 31 May. Only non-employed teachers (including students - the biggest non-employed group) will be eligible to apply for these posts, so you have a better statistical chance of getting a job.
    One of the best teachers I ever appointed got the job in the 2nd week of July of her PGCE course, after we had a very sad ill-health resignation at short notice. This lass was despairing of getting a job to start her induction, we thought we might not get someone suitable at such a late stage and short notice, we were both very relieved and she turned out to be a Real Find! Why no-one else had snapped her up months before I'll never understand.
    So take heart, it might come right for you after all!
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Are you going to visit the schools? I went on about 6 visits and had rapport with 2 of the heads - so only applied for those 2. I got interviewed for both (and got a job). I think of the prior visits as mini interviews so I make sure I ask questions on the walk around, wear smart clothes, chat to the head if possible and that way they get a feel for my enthusiasm and personality. Go in with energy, smiles, and say hi to the chn as you walk around. Comment of displays if you like them, ask about the non core subject schemes, afterschool clubs if you're interested and things that matter to you. I don't have all that muuch teaching experience so energy and enthusiam has worked to my advantage. Also I took Theo's advice and did an exec summary first and then wrote my PS from scratch from that. It made more sense and it worked.
    I'm definately no expert, but hope some of this helped. Best of luck to you.
    Carmen