1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Dear Theo'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Rich_Mus, May 20, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hello,</font><font size="2">I am a secondary music teacher, currently seeking permanent teaching employment. My situation is a little different. I was torn between a careers doing freelance work and teaching, I have now since decided that I want to re-start my career in teaching. I am currently in my 5th year of teaching (MPS4). </font><font size="2">I am trying to decide how honest I should be with my applications, bearing in mind I am up against cheaper NQTs with less &ldquo;baggage.&rdquo; I am not talking about lying but perhaps covering things up (or at least smudging them), I have never ever done anything wrong but my CV is a little stop and start concerning careers and it concerns me that employers may be put off by this - I am fully aware that you have to be honest in applications, I have never been dishonest but there is honest and then really honest. I shall try to explain in more detail:</font><font size="2">I failed at secondary school, my highest grade was an F and my lowest a U. I had to work very hard to get to where I have - I got into college, spent three years doing a GNVQ and BTEC and then just managed to squeeze into University, I then followed this up with an MA (2002-2003) and THREE years later started a PGCE (2006). During the three years I also had to re-take GCSE maths (B) and English (A) so I could start my teacher training. I did a little freelance work but it was hard to come by and to be honest I was not sure what I wanted to do. I was actually due to start my PGCE in 2005 but to tempt fate I got a commission in October (a month before), bloody typical, I had to choose. I chose the commission, one month after the course leaders had very nicely allowed me to defer for a year the commission was cancelled. I was gutted! SO, I went to Greece, completed a TEFL in Nov 05 &ndash; Dec 05 and landed a job for six months teaching on mainland Greece. This was a positive from a negative, but I still might think it makes me look &ldquo;flakey&rdquo; due to the lack of other long-term working experience. </font><font size="2">HANG ON THOUGH as the worst is yet to come... In September 2006 I began my PGCE, it all went very well, I enjoyed it AND I got a job!! Starting in 2007. It was a tricky job, I had a Year 13 tutor, wrote UCAS statements and was in sole charge of a particular subject with little but very unconstructive advice, it was not until February that I found out what a horrible man my mentor was &ndash; from October he had been complaining about me behind my back - really. I think there was a clash of personalities. The short story is that the Union were called in and I was paid up until the end of the year to leave early &ndash; part of the agreement being that my reference would avoid any of what happened, there was a lot of guilt on their part as I was an NQT in a new job surrounded by people that wanted me out (the only person I actually trusted was the Head Teacher and my Union Rep). My teaching ability was very much attacked. I almost didn&rsquo;t go back into teaching but luckily it got better, I found a part-time job and managed to complete my NQT in a school that was very understanding and supportive, this was a part-time maternity contract and I was there for 1 year and 4 months. I never got an observation rated less than good, and even OFSTED rated me as having taught a &ldquo;Good&rdquo; lesson &ndash; I was actually never unsatisfactory in any lessons at the first school either!? Anyway, this is more about what I do when applying for jobs.</font><font size="2">When I was teaching part-time in the second teaching post I worked in a recording studio, and did more freelance work. In between I was supply teaching (I am currently supply teaching in a short/long term cover), and other temp work to make up the hours. I feel that much of my freelance work is beneficial to my teaching. </font><font size="2">Anyway, the main thing is this. How do I explain that I am committed, I am a good teacher and will make an excellent addition to a school without sounding like someone who is not any of the latter things. Explaining this in an application is difficult, so I have felt it better to explain that in between I may have been doing more freelance work than I actually have (I have actually done quite a bit &ndash; but nowhere near full-time) and HOW do I explain my grades without sounding similar. For example some schools ask for the grades in secondary education should I put &ldquo;8 GCSEs including Maths B and Eng A&rdquo; so that it will give the impression I gained this during school and not long after? I also feel that for a lot of the time I didn&rsquo;t really know what I wanted to do, I do now though! But I first need to prove this in an application to get shortlisted. I think I am strong, and have been made stronger, for ending up where I am and this would make me a good role model as I know how hard life is after school without good grades? You get rejected a lot! </font>
    <font size="2">I have had 3 interviews recently (so I am doing something right &ndash; although I have made at least 15 applications in total), one I didn&rsquo;t really want, another I did but it was a Head of Year and a little out of my league in terms of experience so did not get that, and I have another next week (but it&rsquo;s another maternity contract). There is a job that I have my eye on though and it&rsquo;s this one that I really want and I want an interview! Of course I will follow your advice but how would you explain my past experiences in a letter and application.</font> Thanks very much in advance for any advice offered!