1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by refinnej, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask... but wonder if you... or someone else... could offer some advice:
    I am a Scottish qualified teacher and currently working in England. I want to return home to live and work in Scotland.
    I have, over the Easter holiday, applied for two new positions (and will do for any others which emerge over the next few weeks) but am unsure now of the procedures...
    1. When should I tell my Headteacher and / or Head of Dept that I am looking to leave the school and how should I go about telling them? I don't actually know how I should word it to them that, at the end of the summer term, I would like to leave the school. I have listed them both as referees, so obviously, would like to tell them myselves before another school contacts them.
    2. Also, as I would have to hand my notice in at the end of the next half-term, and many jobs in Scotland are not traditionally advertised until June, how should I best tackle this problem? I really am keen to leave, and would be prepared to accept supply / temporary work in the interim in Scotland in order to 'get my foot back in the door' up there.
    Any suggestions would be really appreciated - I know that leaving a permanent full time post with no guarantee of another could be viewed as a very silly move, but I really do want to move home. Thanks, in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

1 Verbally, the minute you get back to school. Your school will appreciate being told as early as possible & as you've surmised they'll need to know <u>before</u> they receive the approach for a reference that you're looking around for another post.
    2 As to officially handing in your notice, obviously May 31st is the last date for a summer leaving date. Are you determined to leave even if you don't have a post to go to? I presume not, so you may have to factor in a January start if there's not sufficient time to hand in notice. But there's still 4 weeks to go, you never know!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Supply work in Scotland is very hard to come by and is not necessarily a good route back in to teaching there. There are also even fewer jobs to go round than in England. You could well be out of work for a long time.

Ask on the Scotland forum (Think it is 'Work in Scotland' or similar) and see what they say.

Unless you can afford to be out of work for a very long time, you might well be better staying where you are, however horrid, until you get a post. Even if it takes a year or so.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

2 excellent bits of advice aboaavae. yes see head and hod straight away. they won.t be pleased if letter assking for ref gets on their desk bbefore you tell them. to other posters always talk to your refs before before you apply. they could be very cross offended and upset if they learn about it from the other school. i think this has gone bold don.t know why . i hear in scotland lots of new teachers are losing jobs after 12 months as schools cut staff numbers. so do thiink about what you are doing. supply can no longer provide a wage t live on as it didd in the past. sorry this is so scruffy. also keeps flashing on and off boldd we.ll see what it cmes out qas. very best wishes

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

sigh. sigh. it.s really scruffy. no keyboard just tiny buttons some don.t register so missing letters some i hit 2 buttons instead of one. some stick aand do 2 letters. and it.s so tiny when i typee i can.t see what i.ve written. sigh. i.m really sorry follks. techie is supposed to ring with appointment to sort it soon.