1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I know I am not the only one having read many of the posts on here... I qualified last summer and some supply work and 20 job applications later, I have only had two interviews and still no job. I have revamped my statement I don't know how many times, had it checked by university careers and tutors and they say it is great and well tailored to the school, even attended your seminar and followed your advice and yet I'm still not getting anywhere...
    I am worried about what I am doing wrong. I have visited every school I apply to and have found lots of nearly NQTs who haven't even completed their final placements yet talking about the interviews they have got....
    How do I try and change the mistakes that I am making when I can't get any feedback from schools as I wasn't a shortlisted candidate?
    Any suggestions or advice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It seems as though you have done, are doing, just about everything that is possible. Including an executive summary as we showed in the seminar, are you? Following all the advice from Helen in her seminar session about the application? Thinking about those points to make it personal to you and to the school? Tick, tick, tick.
    I'm afraid that there just comes a moment when the sheer weight, the sheer numbers, the sheer overwhelming population if unemployed and other job-seeking teachers means that you cannot hope always to be in the 6 selected out of 200 or 300 who apply.
    So the advice is: now you know how to write a really good application, you must do it often. Apply to as many jobs as possible, set up a JobAlert here on the TES (set up several different ones) so that you don't miss out on any potential jobs. Then the sheer numbers of your quality applications will start weighing up against the sheer numbers of applicants.
    Very best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!