1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo,

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by blizz123, Feb 23, 2011.

1. As a trainee teacher, I am looking at applying for jobs starting next September. Just wondered if you could point me in the direction of any articles/forum posts etc you have written specifically to help people in my position (trainee teachers/not a great deal of experience) apply for their first job.
    After reading your guidance on executive summaries, personal statements etc, I thought it would be useful just to see how this would work with a trainee or an NQT.
    Thanks!

2. As a trainee teacher, I am looking at applying for jobs starting next September. Just wondered if you could point me in the direction of any articles/forum posts etc you have written specifically to help people in my position (trainee teachers/not a great deal of experience) apply for their first job.
    After reading your guidance on executive summaries, personal statements etc, I thought it would be useful just to see how this would work with a trainee or an NQT.
    Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, what you would like is a nice example letter for a NQT applying for a first job, with a good clear executive summary example too. I know, many others have asked for it too!
    But there's a reason for not doing this.
    Leadership posts have very different job and person specs. So the example I gave in the clickables is unlikely to fit anyone else's post.
    If it did, there would be an awful temptation to more or less copy. Or even to be unwittingly influenced by it, and copy bits without realising.
    Main grade classroom teacher posts are, by and large, pretty similar in what they are asking for. So any examples that I gave would be just too close to what schools are looking for.
    As copying can get you discounted (and some Local Authorities are now using plagiarism software, similar to that used by UCAS, etc.) to identify similarities in applications, it is just too big a risk to take.
    For the same reason, please don't look at other people's letters or statements!
    I know it's hard.
    If you are free on Friday you could come along to our seminar (see below), where we explain a bit more in depth how to set about things, and give you a few practical exercises.
    I have just bumped this couple of threads, which may be of use.
    NQTs - how to write a good personal statement
    Personal Statement
    Best of luck!
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks Theo, completely understand your point about unwittingly copying etc. The links you posted seem very useful, I'll have a look at them!
    Just wanted to know your opinion on what sort of thing to include in an application for an NQT. As I haven't got the vast experience to make broad statements about certain criteria, should I be giving specific examples from my teaching practice? Or should I be trying to generalise?
    Also, are grades for lesson observations/assignment/assessed tasks relevant enough to mention specifically in an application?
    Maybe I should just write one and see how it goes before worrying about it!
    And if I lived 250 miles closer to London, I would definitely be there on Friday!!
    Thanks!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

1. Be specific. Make a general point, then back it up with examples
    2. Yes - especially if outstanding or good!
    3. Stagecoach . . .
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!