1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Your wonderful opinion please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lillipad, Apr 1, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi Theo,

It appears jobs are like buses! Nothing and then they all come at once! As you know, i've got an interview next week for a permanent job. However I have actually had an offer for a temporary job of one year today at a wonderful school I have previously had experience in.

The issue is that I have now been in this job seekers game for 4 years and am getting very tired of it, i've done 2 mat covers as well as other bits and bobs and I just want my own job now! However, the one I want the job in- isn't permanent although there is the possibility of a perm job at the end of the year. (Again, possibility, no definites!)

The question is, when heads look at prospective candidates applications - do they look at how many schools you've been in and actually move away from the people who have been temporary often? A previous head told me that if she'd seen I had lots of different mat covers, she'd wonder why if I was that good, no one would have snapped me up so it might put her off. Is this true?

I'm trying to decide over the weekend, because while I love the school i've been offered, I wanted to be permanent and worry that being temporary and going in to my FIFTH year of applying, it will be detrimental to my application?!

P.s - I also don't want to put myself through all that interview prep for nothing lol!

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Blunt?
    You want blunt and honest?
    Blunt, frank and honest?
    It's a buyer's market, and you are the seller, frankly.
    Heads can be as picky as they like when they have 200 or 300 applicants.
    Although many Heads are understanding and realise that jobs are really really hard to get, so people take what they can, they are also able to be as picky as they like.
    So, yes, to be blunt, frank and honest, there are quite a few Heads who will think just that: A really good teacher would have been snapped up by now.
    Sorry . . .
    Any chance you could have diplomatic flu and be unable to reply to the first school for a few days?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is tomorrow Saturday 2 April.

This is the last Job seminar that I shall do for some time, so to get a head start, come along! The enrolment is open until midnight tonight.

http://tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com/
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. tiredandlonely

tiredandlonely New commenter

Theo,
    I have been invited to attend to interviews on the same day!! One mainscale which I didn't think I'd have a chance at since I'm UPS3 and the other at a PRU as a coordinator (more my experience level).

I like challenging behaviour but also like mainstream. What do I do!!!!!!!!!!!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes I thought as much... I have told the other school that I will be attending the interview this week and they were fine with it as they've offered me the job anyway (I know them so it's all very amicable) So am thinking of still going to interview and see what happens. If I don't get it, decision made really hey?!

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry, just an after thought - obviously i've had a couple of temporary jobs - on an application, is it plausible to put this down as wanting a range of experiences before settling? Or is that too transparent?! lol

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

1) No it is not plausible
    2) Yes it is too transparent
    [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is tomorrow Saturday 2 April.

This is the last Job seminar that I shall do for some time, so to get a head start, come along! The enrolment is open until midnight tonight.

http://tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Doh! Lol. Was worth a try! :D

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Theo,

Going back to the above topic, with regards to the fact that i've had experience in the school offering me the temp job, my work history would be that school, then another school for a year and a half, and then back to that school, do you think that would still put me in a position where it was harder to get another job in a year if it fell through? While I appreciate it's all temporary and that doesn't look great, 2 of the positions being at the same school would surely say that I must be OK given that they're willing to take me on twice?!!? Please give your blunt advice as always, i'm trying to make a decision and am finding it very difficult! Thank you.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry Theo, another little question:

Just been browsing their website (The one I have the interview at) And having looked at their newsletters and read them, it appears that one of the applicants for the job is a trainee teacher who has been working in the school this term with the exact age class the job is for. Are my chances smaller?! Is that a silly question? (There are 6 applicants in total)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on correct!
    It shows confidence in you.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No.
    Sometimes internals get appointed, sometimes they don't.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/307352.aspx?PageIndex=1