1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, your wisdom please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by s4mm13, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I've been really lucky to have my supply period at the school I've been at for the past 5 weeks extended to the end of January and possibly longer. I'm seeing this as a successful (very short term) job!
    I have applications in at the moment, for which I am awaiting replies. One is for a September start with an Independent and the second only gave the start date as ASAP.
    Now my questions
    1. I have mentioned in my application for position 2 that I am available immediately, as at the time this was the case. Do I have the same obligation to complete the supply period if offered a permanent job elsewhere?
    2. Should I tell school 2 that I am 'booked' till the end of January at the earliest if shortlisted for interview?
    3. Am I entitled to take the time off for interviews if they arise?
    4. Do you know if I am entitled to begin my NQT and is it possible to back date periods covered within the same school? I would hate to have done all this work and not get any closer to completing my NQT.
    I'm so pleased that this school are happy to have me stay. I've had nothing but positive feedback from them and was even told that on day one if they didn't think I was up to it, they wouldn't have asked me to come back for day two. This was almost five weeks ago!! A really big confidence boost.
    I really am proud of myself [​IMG]
    Thank you

2. Dear Theo,
    I've been really lucky to have my supply period at the school I've been at for the past 5 weeks extended to the end of January and possibly longer. I'm seeing this as a successful (very short term) job!
    I have applications in at the moment, for which I am awaiting replies. One is for a September start with an Independent and the second only gave the start date as ASAP.
    Now my questions
    1. I have mentioned in my application for position 2 that I am available immediately, as at the time this was the case. Do I have the same obligation to complete the supply period if offered a permanent job elsewhere?
    2. Should I tell school 2 that I am 'booked' till the end of January at the earliest if shortlisted for interview?
    3. Am I entitled to take the time off for interviews if they arise?
    4. Do you know if I am entitled to begin my NQT and is it possible to back date periods covered within the same school? I would hate to have done all this work and not get any closer to completing my NQT.
    I'm so pleased that this school are happy to have me stay. I've had nothing but positive feedback from them and was even told that on day one if they didn't think I was up to it, they wouldn't have asked me to come back for day two. This was almost five weeks ago!! A really big confidence boost.
    I really am proud of myself [​IMG]
    Thank you

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Haha - first read that as 'Dear Theo, your wisdom teeth please [​IMG]!!
    That's brilliant news! Well done [​IMG]|!
    No idea about your questions sorry, but just wanted to say congratulations [​IMG]!
    [​IMG] xxx

4. Thanks Welshie,
    I've got all fingers and toes crossed for your pending interview!
    xx

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! Well done.
    It depends on your contract - have they given you a contract with a notice period? If not, then supply is one day's notice, so you are available immediately.
    As above. If no contract stating notice period, then you are available.
    No entitlement to paid time off if it's supply - but you can expect to be allowed to go, but unpaid.
    Begin your NQT where? In current school? I am not sure - ask on NQT Forum - but I think they needed to register you at the start of the period.
    And so say all of us - well done!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. Thank you so much Theo.

7. I'm afraid you cannot start your nqt induction with anything less than a term contract and it cannot be applied retrospectively. None of this counts towards your nqt year but it is definitely not wasted time.

8. Thank you :eek:)
    It's a shame, but it's all experience!

9. Congratulations - that's a fantastic achievement! I too don't have any answers to offer, but wanted to offer my congratulations.
    (I'll keep my fingers crossed for one of the permanent posts though too.)