1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: year group leader - data analysis task

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Hi Theo and all
    Well I had interview number 4 and still didn't get it [​IMG]
    Got another interview coming up though so that's good. It's for a year group leader post. This one has a an "analysis of pupil progress data" task. Just wondering what this could be?
    From scanning on here, I know some include tracking whether pupils have made expected progress, selecting those for intervention etc.
    30 minutes seems a very short time to do a complete data analysis - and I don't know what they expect at the end of it. Is it likely to be for one year group (given the nature of the post) or for a key stage, or unknown???
    Any advice, pointers etc are welcome, as I've never had to do a task like this before.
    Thanks,
    sparkly

2. Hi sparklyrainbowfish
    I too have had a number of interviews (just received an email inviting me for my 7th!) and some helpful feedback and some not so helpful (in fact one school it wasn't even the head who called to tell me, but the secretary, the following day and she said if I wanted feedback I'd have to call the head another time as she was tied up...rather glad I didn't get that job in hindsight!)
    It's so frustrating when you just can't get it right after so many times of trying and I really empathise with you. The reference thing is tough...you just have to try to prove to them in interview/lesson observation that you are someone whose abilities outweigh the risks of the "facts"
    Good luck with the next one - let's hope you and I can both post a "Dear Theo...I got the job" very soon![​IMG]

3. In fact that invite to the 7th was an error!! HUH!!! I had an email in my inbox inviting me for the interview. Only by chance was I having a quick look at my spam box to find ANOTHER email ...

You have inadvertently been sent an email inviting you to interview for the above post. I apologise this was sent to you in error. On this occasion you were not successful with your application.
    I wish you the best in your future applications.

What's that all about??? Is there any way I can complain?

4. Oh dear!!
    I would certainly not be happy if I were you. In fact, if it happened to me I almost certainly would not have seen the email in the spam folder as I hardly ever check mine!
    I really don't know if you can complain... but I hope you can sort something out. Check with your union? What if you never saw the second email as it was in your spam folder not your inbox....?

BTW - thanks for your good wishes earlier - and good luck to you too [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you mean do you have any legal comeback, the answer is: No. But you knew that really!
    Dunno what it is with some people nowadays, they sometimes seem to think they are entitled to some form of redress after every little thing.
    What I suggest that you do is write to the Head - a real letter on good paper - just saying something brief like Thank you for the e-mail telling me that the invitation to an interview for the post of Teacher of History was sent to me in error. Although I was disappointed not to have been selected this time, I would like you to note that I am still interested in working in your school, and would be grateful to hear of any further vacancies.
    I don't expect that they will tell you - too busy to do that, they expect people to look in the TES. But your name may well ring a bell as the person who was polite, as opposed to the other 135 who wrote back rude e-mails complaining.
    Because it has ocurred to me that they may have sent out YES e-mails to the unlucky ones and NO to the ones who actually were chosen . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. I wasn't meaning any sort of legal redress Theo. More that I was really disappointed to have got excited about another interview and hopefully one step closer to a permanent job and a little put out at the mistake.
    I like your idea though...