1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo year 5/6 interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Fynoderee, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hi Theo, some advice would be gratefully received. I have my first interview next week, for a year 5/6 class. What kind of questions do you think they will ask? What would be the best way to prepare? I have visited the school and have a prospectus so have a feel for it, but am feeling very apprehensive. Thanks

2. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

3. Decide on a few things you want to get across about yourself - e.g. a particular subject strength, ace AfL, etc. Look at the job description - and at their most recent OFSTED - so you'll know what they are looking to develop as a school, and try to pursuae them that YOU are the candidate to help them do this. Make sure you know the school - visit and swot up on as much info as you can lay your hands on: try to demonstrate that you don't just want A job - you want THIS job. Have a clear philosophy of education: what you think it means and stands for and how this works in practical terms. This way, whatever the question, you'll be certain on what you want to get across to them. Try to hide your nerves! Try to come across as cool, competent and collected - as hard as it is! Smile lots, but not so much that you look inane! Remember that it's fine to use examples you gave on your application form. Have in your head an example of a really good lesson you taught and what was so good about it - in my experience, this is always asked in one way or another. Don't feel like you have to ask questions. Hmm can't think of anything else! Someone on here recently said: try to think of it not as you facing the firing squad, but as sitting down to chat with fellow professionals about a job you love. I thought these were wise words. Good luck! x

4. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Thanks for posting Lilybett. Good advice for all us jobseekers[​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

With all the excellent advice here on this thread above, plus the Interview clickables in the Welcome thread, you have had all the tips you need to just WOW them - and get to start that new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

6. I gerra job and suddenly I think I'm Theo Griff!! [​IMG] xxx

7. Thanks for the advice. Will get on the case :)

8. Thanks for the advice. Will get on the case

9. Good luck!!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Much younger and slimmer and fitter, though!
    Your advice was spot on.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bodes well for you new school. They're going to be so glad they chose you.