1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - written task

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by clear_air, Nov 10, 2011.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I went to visit a school yesterday, and have applied for the post - but while we (there was a group of us) were looking round, one person asked about the interview process. No surprises to be told that they would expect us to teach a lesson, but then the head mentioned a written task. I have never come across this before. My mind went a bit panic stricken (jumping to conclusions, I know at this stage!!), so what I think I heard was 'write down an analysis of the lesson' - I wondered if you could clarify this for me?
    What is the written task all about? What purpose does it serve?
    Many thanks.
    clear_air

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Written tasks seem to be more and more popular these days - in one school I had to write a whole department plan to meet the need of SEN/Gifted and Talented kids... there is no set 'written task' it can be anything the school wishes. I guess the main purpose is to demonstrate 1) literacy skills 2) reflection/thought process 3) how you work under pressure 4) an understanding of different school/governmental policies that affect our daily teaching lives e.g. SEN/health and safety etc..
    IF the task is what you think you heard, then this is quite a common question in the interview that may follow a lesson - in other words, what went well? What didn't? Why did some of it work and some of it didn't? What would you change and why? etc.... a bit like the lesson evaluations you may have had to write during your teacher training. Good luck!

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I've been asked to do some planning as part of the interview process before. The candidates were given an item as a starting point and asked to come up with some ideas for a term's work based around it. I think it was mainly to see if we were able to come up with our own ideas (rather than following schemes of work) and to see if we could make cross-curricular links, etc.
    I think it's another opportunity for people to show their skills. If you think about it, you get to do the written task by yourself and you have some thinking time. Some people might show strengths that don't come across when they are speaking to people directly in an interview situation.