1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: written task at interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by shiny_sparkly_star, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi Theo, I hope you can help with this one!
    I have been selected to attend an interview for KS2 teacher. The letter outlines the interview program as follows:
    1. Lesson observation
    2. School Council
    3. Written Task
    4. Formal Interview

Do you have any idea what the written task will involve? I have asked at my current school and they havn't heard of it before for a MPS teacher, usually for leadership posts. I have thought that it may possibly be looking at my handwriting/spelling/grammar or other tasks such as levelling a piece of writing or planning a lesson. On the letter it says that the written task will last 10 mins, so surely it wouldn't be anything too difficult?
    Also, can anyone else out there help me with suggestions on what types of questions the school council might ask?

2. I've done that a couple of times in interviews. Often it's answering a few questions about how your lesson has just gone, what worked, what didn't, what would your next steps be? It's also occasionally levelling some children's work or analysing some data. It's never been anything scary or too difficult. Don't worry about it.

3. Thank you flubberyzing, I appreciate your reply. I've never had to do it before so was a bit worried! Now just got to concentrate on getting the observation lesson sorted. Thanks.

4. Hi,
    I've just had an interview where I had a written task. It was 15 minutes before the lesson observation in which I was given pieces of work and had to mark them. Then in the formal interview, I was asked to justify my marking technique and content.
    From what I've heard on this forum, though, it could be any manner of task so there is not really any point planning excessively for one task. Most of the time it seems to be something that you would be doing in your daily teaching role though- levelling, marking, writing to parents. Something along those lines.
    Good luck!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, some helpful replies there.
    You can get more hints by doing a search on this Forum (see the box top left - click This forum only) using as search written task and then another one School council.
    Don't forget to read the interview clickables inside the Welcome threead to get someuseful tips for preparation.
    Well done for getting that interview - we look forward to your new thread Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

6. Thanks for you help Theo, much appreciated.
    The written task involved levelling a piece of writing and then there was a second unexpected task of planning a cross curriculur topic, in only 10 mins! a bit of a rush, but I got as much done as I could.
    After that I was interviewed by the school council, observed by the governors. This went really well and the children were lovely.
    Then I went on to be observed teaching a 30 min lesson and finally the formal interview. I was personally very pleased with how well I answered as I didn't stumble and all the questions that came up, I had had before in previous interviews.
    I then received the phonecall at 5pm that day to say 'I am sorry you have not been selected for the one year contract, but we would like to offer you the 1 term maternity cover'. For the first time that day, I actually was speechless! I didn't know what to say, so they offered to let me think about it and have a word with them in the morning (I've been doing supply there so would be there the next day).
    I don't want to appear ungrateful, but I am hopeful of being selected for more interviews as I am still waiting for some adverts to close. I also worry about leaving it too long and then not having anything for September.
    So I had a word with the Headteacher who was very understanding of me wanting to continue applying for other jobs and is willing to hold it open for another few weeks. I will keep you updated on how I get on.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How lucky for you!
    So you can go on searching with that back-up. Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

8. Hi Theo,
    I have an interview on Wedneday and have been asked to carry out a lesson evaluation written task, before I have taught my observed lesson. I have never heard of this kind of thing before, especially not in PE. Can you help me at all? I have never observed a lesson before so am unsure of what to even comment on. Presuming that is what the task is?
    Many thanks, Vicky

9. Blaqk_Rose

Blaqk_Rose New commenter

I had an interview once for MPS with written task and it was a marking exercise.