1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- writing prospective letters to schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Mar 11, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well . . .
    In many schoolsone of the main jobs of the secretary is to sift out all those letters and make sure that the Head doesn't get to see them . . .
    And if they do have a job, to be quite honest, they aren't going to say "We won't bother to advertise, let's just give the job to that lady who wrote to us in March" nor will they say "Ooh- there was that lady who wrote to us in March - let's go to all the trouble of finding her letter and getting in touch with her and asking her to put in an application in case she hasn't bothered to look in the TES".
    See what I mean?
    Nowadays the only way a letter like this might get a (temp) job would be if you were available immediately, like tomorrow, for emergency cover if someone was suddenly injured or very ill and they had no-one on their books.
    So spend your effort on doing a Job Alert and reading all the advice in the various threads and clickables.
    Start here:
    <h3>Application form help needed!! </h3>Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

2. toffee20

toffee20 New commenter

Dear Theo,

Is this also the case with independent schools?

Thank you!

3. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Yes, it's the same in Independent schools.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Yes, they are different, but they are not daft!

The advice I gave above some time ago about reading clickables no longer holds, as we have a much-expanded Blog set. So start reading - and Red-Hearting - the Blogs. For job hunting, it's a good idea to get the TES App and set up JobAlerts - so useful both of them.

Get the TES Jobs App [​IMG]

How to set up a Job Alert

I suggest that you also read all my advice on writing applications: read them in this order.

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job

How NOT to get shortlisted

How do schools shortlist candidates?

Common errors found in applications

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S.

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Application form: how to present long list of posts outside education

How can I provide details of examination results?

Can I omit, on an application, a period spent teaching abroad?

I have a Police caution from 10 years ago. Can I still apply for jobs?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations.