1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, writing an ES as well as a personal statement?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PRHPxo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. PRHPxo

PRHPxo New commenter

I have composed an executive summary as advised but I'm not sure if i should be writing a personal statement as well as. I have looked around the 'getting a job' articles but I can't seem to find anything.

If I have written an ES, what should I be including in a personal statement?

"Additional Information in Support of your Application

Using the Job Description and Person Specification please explain how your knowledge, skills and experience relates to the post for which you are applying. These may have been gained through paid employment, domestic responsibilities, voluntary/ community work, spare time activities, education and training. If necessary you may provide further required information on a separate sheet"

2. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you need a letter or statement as well as an ES. The E.S. is very brief, bullet points. The letter is flowing prose, picking up and expanding on the main points of the JD/PS, and moving out to talk about your personal ethos/beliefs/philosophy.

Have a quick re-read of these:

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications***NEW ***

Best wishes