1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, would like to teach A level Chemistry

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dalton, Dec 8, 2015.

1. dalton

dalton New commenter

Hello Theo, when I was doing my teaching practice I did not have the opportunity to plan and teach A level chemistry, even though my teaching qualification says 11-19. Also whilst teaching I have never had the opportunity at the schools that I taught. I would like to get some experience and guidance in doing so, but I am on supply and not teaching. Could you give an ideas on how to start this. I've looked at subject knowledge enhancement courses but none that can help me. Any advice.
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why shouldn't you teach A-level Chemistry?

Or to put it differently, why should you?

What's your degree? What's your PGCE?

Best wishes

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Schools are under so much pressure for results that if they have experienced staff to teach A Level chances are they will not give classes to trainees.

Same if you're new to a school. I taught A -Level in my second year...not my NQT, or my training.

4. dalton

dalton New commenter

Thank you all. @TheoGiff, I would like to be able to teach A level Chemistry confidently. A lot of schools are asking for candidates to be able to teach A level and that puts me off. My degree and teaching is in Chemistry but that was 1992. not sure what to do.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So you are qualified in Chemistry. Schools will generally be keen to have a scientist with an actual Chemistry qualification, so that's a big plus.

Do I understand that you have been teaching since 1992? But only 11-16?

You should be able to teach A-level with a degree. So what you need to do is this:

1) Familiarise yourself with the specifications for A-level Chemistry from the different Awarding Bodies. Anything there that you don't understand or know about? No, thought not.

2) Buy A-level textbooks and work through them. Amazon has OCR, AQA and Edexcel orientated books.

Having done that, and with a Chemistry degree under your belt, you should surely be able to teach A-level Chemistry, even if you have no experience of it.

Best wishes