1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - would like advice on applying for different roles

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TerriJ, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    I am currently looking for work and am looking at roles other than teaching right now (as well as looking at agency work, teaching and otherwise).
    Is it ethical to apply for a job in a school that is not teaching (maybe admin or cover teaching) but still look for a teaching job - maybe taking a permanent role now, but leaving soon after to take a teaching role?
    How would taking a non-teaching role affect my job chances for a teaching job and what will it mean for references? Also, what are the chances of taking a cover teacher role (for example) and getting a couple of classes of my own from the school, so teaching just a little bit - and how will that affect how the school views me from a legal standpoint?
    Many thanks,
    Terri.

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

The bills have to be paid somehow! Why would it be unethical?
    Not teaching = cover teaching? So a cover supervisor you mean?
    As long as you abide by any contractual regulations such as notice periods. And most perm posts now are for January, giving you plenty of time to hand in your notice.
    Probably better than unemployment. Heads ought to understand that we can't lock ourselves in a store cupboard waiting for the next teaching post between contracts where there is a gap and if they cant they can go and<strike> f</strike> (oops, must remember not to swear!) do one!
    I'm sure there are schools that would be more than happy to pay you on a cover supervisor rate and have you with some of your own classes. If you have QTS I think they can do this even though it is probably against union guidelines in some way. While moralistically you would be the very person who people trying to get a proper teaching job (or proper supply rate) are up against, in this dire economic climate I think you need to throw morality out of the window and if it pays, go for it!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A spot on answer r. Scienceteacha.

Thank you!