1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-would it be wise to leave teaching for a while?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LucyEW88, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am coming to the end of my History PGCE which I have enjoyed but I have failed to secure myself a job. With the school year coming to a close I feel quite pessimistic. I have a mortage and probably could not afford to be without a steady income. It is for this reason I'm wondering if I should go for a different job path until I can find a teaching job rather than supply. I have been told supply work may be only occasional. I do not want to be unable to get back into teaching though, so if I went into a different career would it look unfavourable on future applications?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't be too downhearted yet. There are still a good few appointing weeks left!
    Schools only came back on Monday, got the resignations, had to decide what to do, set up the ad etc.
    I reckon that this Friday's TES, and next week, will show a good few possibilities.
    And remember: it's only those not in permanent posts who can apply.
    Get ready for it by re-reading the Shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread.
    They bring results!
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    taking Theo's Advice
    Good luck!
    Looking forward to your new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am in the same position as you Lucy. I can't afford not to work or to rely on supply as I also have a mortgage and commitments. I am going to do as Theo suggested and stay hopeful for the next lot of jobs that fingers crossed will appear next week.
    My personal opinion is that being employed in a different field while looking for a teaching job looks better than being unemployed for that same period of time, even better if it is in someway linked to education or learning. There was a supply teacher in my school today and I asked her about the amount of work she is getting and it is 1-2 days a week at most.

4. I'm really sorry to say this to you but I have just left a permanent job in admin in Higher Education to attend a Return to Teaching course and gain recent knowledge/experience because I was applying for teaching posts and mostly not even getting shortlisted, when I did the feedback was always the same - you need recent knowledge/experience.
    I left in 2007 because I was really quite ill after having my son and felt I couldn't give my all to both teaching and being a mum at the same time under those conditions. However I was well on the road to recovery within my first year in my other job and started applying for teaching posts, have applied for quite a few every year, and just not getting a look-in because of my time out.
    I understand what you mean about not being able to just do supply - I'm a single mother so am sole wage-earner in my house and that was my reason ultimately for staying in the other job for so long - but eventually I realised the longer I stay out of teaching the worse this will be, and decided I just had to take a leap of faith and go for it. I'm applying furiously for September posts and if I don't get one, will sign up with several supply agencies, put my name down for supply in a few schools I have links with, and perhaps even keep up some voluntary work at my son's school where I have CRB as a parent helper, and just keep applying for the permanent and long-term posts.
    You have to do what's best for you but I have regretted leaving ever since - even though I've had amazing life experience in between - because it's so very tough to get back in. I do wish you lots of luck in getting your dream post and I agree with Theo, definitely don't give up on September posts just yet.