1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - wondering about pupil panel at interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lCatherinel, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and all,

So I've been invited to interview and have decided that this one is mine. Third time lucky and all. They are a lot more organised than other schools I have interviewed at and have sent me a timetable for the day, in advance. It is a standard teacher post. On the time table it appears all the candidates are to be interviewed by a pupil panel. A lovely idea in my opinion but what sort of questions can I expect them to ask? I've thought about it and I know my kids at my current school would ask really inappropriate/personal questions unless they were screened first by a teacher. Also, I was wondering what sort of weight this would carry with the decisions making process? I guess this could vary from school to school but I wondered if it was just a show and made little difference in reality?

I'm not really nervous about a pupil interview as it is generally only talking to adults that makes me nervous. I have a great relationship with the kids I teach.

thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is becoming quite common in some schools.
    " I know my kids at my current school would ask really
    inappropriate/personal questions unless they were screened first by a
    teacher
    ". I'm<u> fairly </u>sure they will have their questions vetted beforehand and only 'selected' pupils who can be trusted to stick to the questions will be on the panel.
    " I know my kids at my current school would ask really
    inappropriate/personal questions unless they were screened first by a
    teacher
    ". Again they will take it into account but no way would I expect a school to allow pupils to have a greater influence than the professionals

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hi,
    I have had a couple of school council interviews in some of my interviews. There is usually a class teacher or T.A lurking around in the same room, and it is quite apparent that the questions have been given to them, well in my experience anyway. They are the normal kind of interview questions you would expect to be honest -again this is just my experience. Good luck in your interview [​IMG]

4. Thank you, I was hoping they would be more random than interview-y questions since I don't own a black book with interview questions. Perhaps if I don't get this one I should start one :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you looked in the Welcome thread to see the two interview clickables? One is general interview tips - open all the links as there are real gems hidden inside - one of them has the Famous Middlemarch Mind Map for instance - loads of posters swear by it.
    And the other is called Possible interview questions,so you don't need the black book!
    And do a search here on the forum for "school council". Put the " " in. It will give you loads of ideas from other people who have gone through it.
    Don't worry - all questions are agreed beforehand, so no loose cannon in the room!
    Well done on getting that interview, and very best of luck. Our tradition is that when you get a job, you start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!"
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

6. I had this at the one and only interview I have ever had. It consisted of 6 children from school council around a table, I sat down at the table too and one by one they ask you, what I believed was given to them by teachers but worded as if the children were asking it such 'how will you make sure we are learning lots?' and 'what will our classroom look like?' and throughout this, there was a TA sat in the room. All the children were writing down answers on their own copy of the questions and so was the TA so don't worry about children missing writing down answers, I don't think children have a huge input but it's nice to involve them! Hope this helps!