1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- ( with apologies to kindle haters ) how do I convert documents please?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Ladykaza, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Hi Theo, thanks for the offer of help.

I guess if I read the docs on the beach at least I'll be out of the office.

Lady K

2. 576

576 Established commenter

If you're asking how to save a word document as a pdf you should be able to save as one by choosing pdf as file type.

[​IMG]

If you're asking how to read a pdf on a kindle - I dunno, I have a Sony Reader. [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo LadyK. Fancy seeing you on here!

Kindle-haters will not bother to open this thread, so we don't need to worry about sarky comments.

You can convert several types of document into Kindle-friendly format. I find it useful to have documents that you may need to consult off site.

First of all you need to download the Calibre software - it's free. Just Google Download calibre.

PDF conversion In theory you can read PDFs straight on your kindle, but it is so tiny, and so fiddly to enlarge a small section, read it, go back, select another small section, read that too, etc., that it's best to convert the documents. N.B. you cannot convert anything that is in columns, or boxes, or anything fancy like that..

I convert things like my camera instructions, my insurance certificates, and carry them on my Kindle for reference.

N.B. PDF doesn't convert perfectly in that the line ends often do not coincide with the ends of a line on your Kindle. So if you have a choice, convert a Word version of a PDF document by first doing CTRL+A to select the whole document, CTRL+C to copy it, then opening a word document and doing CTRL+V to paste it, then save the new document. You cannot do this with protected PDF docs, however.

With Calibre open on your computer, click the top LH icon Add Books. You then select the PDF document that you want to convert. Wait a minute while Calibre processes it and puts it in the list of documents.

Look on screen and see if you like the Title and Author that Calibre has given to your document. If you don't (suppose it's from the Local Authority and you want to have them as Author), then having selected that document, you click the Edit Metadata icon and change whatever you wish to.

It's quite nice, as well as changing any name, to click Generate cover (in the middle top-ish), so if you have a Kindle Fire or a Kindle Paperwhite you can pick it out easily in Cover View. OK to confirm.

Then to convert the document, once it's selected (i.e. when the cursor is on it), you click the Convert books icon. Once the Convert window opens, select MOBI in the Output Format button at top RH of screen, and click bottom RH OK.

After a short while - could be seconds, could be minutes, it's done.

Word conversion

Word documents convert perfectly, the lines wrap round whatever size font you use.

Open the Word document. Get rid of any page numbering and any Headers or Footers in top/bottom margin (you don't want those because they are in the wrong place on your Kindle). When you've done that, you choose SAVE AS, and then save it as a Web page filtered. It'll tell you that you lose some formatting, no problem.

With Calibre open on your computer, click the top LH icon Add Books. You then select the webpage document that you saved and want to convert - it has a funny swirly icon. Don't pick up the Word document by mistake! Wait a minute while Calibre processes it and puts it in the list of documents.

Look on screen and see if you like the Title and Author that Calibre has given to your document. If you don't (suppose it's from the Local Authority and you want to have them as Author), then having selected that document, you click the Edit Metadata icon and change whatever you wish to.

It's quite nice, as well as changing any name, to click Generate cover (in the middle top-ish), so if you have a Kindle Fire or a Kindle Paperwhite you can pick it out easily in Cover View. OK to confirm.

Then to convert the document, once it's selected (i.e. when the cursor is on it), you click the Convert books icon. Once the Convert window opens, select MOBI in the Output Format button at top RH of screen, and click bottom RH OK.

After a short while - could be seconds, could be minutes, it's done.

I suggest that you have a Folder on your computer for converted documents. Save your converted documents there by, in Calibre, selecting the Save to disk icon, and choosing Save only Mobi format to disk in a single directory. After you've saved them, then in Windows Explorer you plug in your Kindle to the USB, and then just drag the document over to your Kindle, taking care to put it into the Documents folder on your Kindle.

You can also get Calibre to e-mail the document directly, for free, to your Kindle. If you want to know about that, ask again. This one is long enough!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there 576, no Lady K wasn't asking either of those, she wanted to know how to have documents from the Local Authority and read them on the beach on her Kindle.

If you have a Sony Reader, then you can follow the instructions that I gave her to convert a PDF or Word document for your Reader. The only change is that where it says:

Once the Convert window opens, select MOBI in the Output Format button at top RH of screen, and click bottom RH OK.

For a Sony Reader you replace that with:

Once the Convert window opens, select EPUB in the Output Format button at top RH of screen, and click bottom RH OK.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

5. Ladykaza

Thanks Theo and 576, I'll give it a go on Monday. I've got to go in to school to open up for the decorators anyway - so much for a holiday!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes

7. Ladykaza

Thanks Theo, I did it! Now just got to summon up the enthusiasm to read it.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes