1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Why interview an NQT and then say they want someone more expereinced?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lr144, Apr 29, 2011.

1. lr144

lr144 New commenter

Hello,
    I am sure this question gets asked often, I am nearing the end of my PGCE 3 - 7 years and have had two interviews so far in a really competitive area. From both I received positive praise, in fact one of them said my interview was 'outstanding' and has offered me help with applications.
    However as lovely as it is to gain positive feedback why do they interview me when they must have some idea of whether they want experienced pracitioners? Both said they decided to go with a more experienced teacher which I respect, but they know I'm at the start of my career so why put me through all the stress!! Although it's all good experience I suppose,
    Feeling a bit miffed! Are they fobbing me off which some have suggested?
    Thank you

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL for the same reason I sometimes turn up to interview, get positive feedback, am told there is nothing I could have done better and they would love to appoint me, but have gone with the NQT.

I suppose just about looking and seeing what is available.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

first i apologise for this scruffy post. no computer so pecking away on my kindle. he techie is due any day now to solve the wifi problem. yes they knew you were a nqt when they shortlisted you. they thought you had real potential and were a possible appointee. but on the actual day they liked the other person better. it happns. nothing you can do abut it. i sometimes think that appoinnting someone can be like falling in love. you can.t explain it. but then comes the request for feedback so they have to explain. saying more experience is the easy answer ok. but it may also be ttrue. on the day they decided to go for experience. don.t beat yourself up about it. you.ve done well to get interviews and get positive feedback and offer of support. sounds to me as though you are going to get a job soon. best wishes