1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Who would i put down as a reference?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chocolateheaven4, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi there, I am an NQT who qualified last July. As the posts have started being advertised for September positions, i am now getting back into the swing of applications. I have been working as a primary supply teacher since January and i'm not sure who i would write as my most recent employer and as references.

I have always had to put down the headteacher of my last placement whilst at university and my mentor from university as references. I'm now just a bit confused as to who to write now since i have been working as a supply teacher as they would not be able to give me anywhere near as good a reference as those who saw me teaching whilst completing my degree.

Would i put down my supply agency as my most recent employer and then list the schools that i did my placements in below? And would i need to mention anything about which schools i have done supply work in?

Thank you

Rachel

2. Hi,
    I'm in a similiar position in that I qualified in July and have been doing supply since then. I've been very lucky and only had to work in 2 schools as they have kept asking for me back in the Autum term and for this term one school asked me to do 2 days PPA - which includes planning and assessing and the other school asked me to do 1.2.1 tutoring for yr4, low in literacy and numeracy (all my own planning, assessing and communicating with the class teacher), though they have then asked me to do very last minute cover for class when the teacher has been late giving notice they are ill.
    My question is which school should I ask for as a reference- the PPA as the one with my class teaching, or the tutoring school, since this has more responsibility, I've been more helpful (with doing the last min cover) and I have more communication with the deputy head (she is the one who asks me to cover?
    Any direction would be great as I don't want to miss out on a application because of my references!