1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, who to use as a second referee

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fififred, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Hi, having had 6 interviews from 6 applications I have clearly been doing SOMETHING right- just not everything. Well, now one of my referees is on maternity leave. She would still do the reference, but would it look better on my application form to have the deputy head, who hasn't really worked with me? I should explain I am on a very part-time contract in a school where I have previously taught full-time- but they can't give me as many hours as I would like so they know I am applying for a job with more hours and hopefully permanent! I have done long term planning for the KS that the deputy leads and I have been in planning meetings etc with him, but he has never had to observe my teaching whereas my KS leader was involved with me on a daily basis, as time goes on though she has less of an idea of my role in school whereas I am appearing more on the deputy's radar as I have recently done supply in his KS.

2. I think my references are screwed hence **** aftermath of interviews.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!
    The important thing, actually, is having someone who knows good things about you - AND will reply fast to a request.
    Which would it be?
    You could aslo ask your mat leave colleague if she would pass a copy of her reference to your Deputy, to act as a basis for his reference, since she has had good contacts with you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The official guidance is that references should be taken up before interview. It will be only in very rare cases that they are taken up later, so are unlikely to impact on the decision after interview.
    If a reference is received that is very negative, a school will make a phone call to follow this up, and if appropriate cancel the interview.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. Thank you, hadn't thought of her passing info over. Will speak to them both. As you say I just wanted someone who could reply quickly and I didn't want my mat leave colleague to worry about anything other than herself and the baby- she deserves the time with her family!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's that sorted then!
    Heads and Deputies often write refs for people using other colleagues' information too.
    Good luck!