1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.........who could be my first referee?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by InformedConsent, Mar 6, 2011.

1. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

I had taught at the boys Junior Section in an international school for 5.5 years and then moved back to Scotland and started supply, long and short term from 2006 to 2008. Since 2008, I could not find further work in my area and had to move to London in 2010. There is a gap of 2 years in my CV (2008-2010) due to unemployment. In London, I worked at a local school to get back into teaching and got register with the supply agencies.
    I want to get back into independent sector as it suits me and I had wonderful experience teaching in one of them. The school was remarkable institution with excellent results and its pupils were “Best in the world” in Physics and Chemistry declared in the examination of Cambridge.
    I am currently teaching on daily supply and do not have a headteacher to put in as my first referee. I am applying to independent schools for permanent positions and want to put the director of my supply agency as my first referee as they are the only employer. The director had told me that they had received good feed back from the schools where I had worked through them. Is it ok? What are other options?

2. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

I had taught at the boys Junior Section in an international school for 5.5 years and then moved back to Scotland and started supply, long and short term from 2006 to 2008. Since 2008, I could not find further work in my area and had to move to London in 2010. There is a gap of 2 years in my CV (2008-2010) due to unemployment. In London, I worked at a local school to get back into teaching and got register with the supply agencies.
    I want to get back into independent sector as it suits me and I had wonderful experience teaching in one of them. The school was remarkable institution with excellent results and its pupils were “Best in the world” in Physics and Chemistry declared in the examination of Cambridge.
    I am currently teaching on daily supply and do not have a headteacher to put in as my first referee. I am applying to independent schools for permanent positions and want to put the director of my supply agency as my first referee as they are the only employer. The director had told me that they had received good feed back from the schools where I had worked through them. Is it ok? What are other options?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Moving back into a job can be quite hard after time abroad. But I am glad that you have found supply work - not everybody does.
    Q1 Yes, the supply agency. But also you could ask the Head or HoD at a school where you have done a bit of supply to be your second referee.
    Q2 If you were totally unemployed then you need to be up-front about it on the application. Say that you were looking for the perfect job that didn't come.
    Q3 have you read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread? These give advice that many people have found very useful in getting jobs.
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    The other possibilities are getting professional help. You could consider attending one of the seminars - here's what someone says:
    Dear Theo, I didn't get the job but..........
    Or even an individual meeting:
    Dear Theo I got the job!
    But do look at the free advice in the Welcome thread first!
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!