1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo who can I use as references?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tweetypi88, May 3, 2012.

1. Dear Theo, As I have only done supply since graduating I'm unsure as who to use as a second reference. One is a head who I have done a lot of supply for and who has seen me teaching. There are a few other headteachers who I could ask but they haven't seen me teach and I don't really feel as though they know me well enough as they are big schools and I don't really see them much. Would it be inappropriate to use my mentor(headteahcer) from my teaching prac 2.5 years ago?

2. Dear Theo, As I have only done supply since graduating I'm unsure as who to use as a second reference. One is a head who I have done a lot of supply for and who has seen me teaching. There are a few other headteachers who I could ask but they haven't seen me teach and I don't really feel as though they know me well enough as they are big schools and I don't really see them much. Would it be inappropriate to use my mentor(headteahcer) from my teaching prac 2.5 years ago?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So that's one, and a good choice.
    That's a possibility too.
    But do you see - and get seen by - a Deputy, or a HoD, or a KS co-ordinator? these are all possibilities too.
    Don't forget to read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, and also read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Best wishes

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

My second reference is still my PGCE tutor, three years on! I know he's a little out-of-date now, as it were, but I'm not sure who else I would use!
    Oh dear. Maybe that's why I haven't had an interview yet... *goes off to sweat and worry about it all night*

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I very much doubt that a school would "de-select" you on the basis of an old reference.
    What might be more of a problem, Sillow, is if you have been out of teaching for all that time.
    Best wishes