1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Which job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Middlemarch, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

YES.
    If you accept you are making a verbal contract with the school, which is as binding as one you've signed.
    And yes - heads do tell other heads if someone breaks such a legal contract. You'd have something to say about it if you were offered a post and then the head rang you a while later to tell you s/he's found someone s/he liked better and so the offer is withdrawn - wouldn't you?
    I need also to tell you that advertising jobs costs a flippin' fortune, together with the time and effort it takes to interview candidates. Schools have increasingly reduced budgets - and money wasted on advertising and interviewing a candidate who then acts unprofessionally is money lost to children and teachers.
    By the way 'dream' jobs. We get people on here every year telling us they've found their 'dream' job and some of them come back later saying how awful it is.

2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say. I had 2 interviews lined up last year, the first in a challenging school and the second in what you might describe as a "dream school" I suppose. I got offered the first and took it. I've never regretted it as I love the school I'm in. I only occasionally think wistfully of the prettier looking school with nicer, cleaner children - but I think everything happens for a reason!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

MM's answer is spot on.
    As you would expect! [​IMG]
    This is a question that I answer a lot
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/563059/7353996.aspx#7353996
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/527332/7070258.aspx#7070258
    Good luck with the interview!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just re-read your post:
    A better offer cannot come along.
    Once you have accepted a job, you cannot then go to another interview. To do so would be falsely representing to the second school that you are free to enter into a contract of employment with them, when in fact you are contractually tied to the first school.
    So once you have accepted one job, no better offer will come along, because you will have to withdraw from other applications.
    Good luck

5. Thanks Theo et al for your sound advice and thanks for the links, I knew there must be some other threads.
    Looks like I need to do some thinking before the interviews...!