1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - whether to apply

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Max Decimus, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I'm moving over the summer to a place where teaching jobs are harder to get than most places. Jobs have started to trickle out and I've applied for a couple to no avail. However this may be because I didn't 100% meet all of their essential criteria even though I did address their queries in my executive summary and statement.

Another job has come up that says it is essential to have taught a Y5/6 composite class. I haven't and have only taught Year 3 but taught Year 5 during my training year. Usually I would think there is no harm in applying but am I wasting my time applying for jobs like this? Is there a chance that I could ever get them or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So the clue is there essential is just that & with over 100 potential candidates possibly applying for the post the school can be choosy.
    Not what you wanted to hear, I know, but it's better to be realistic.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that as well as Lara, you have answered this question yourself.
    What is it that they need? Someone to teach a joint Yr5/6 class. What do they consider essential for this person? To have had experience of teaching . . . . I would consider this a really Top Essential if I were in their shoes, not just something round the edges of what they want.
    Yes, it may be that your failure to meet their essentials has held you up in the past - but with some jobs (eg Primary in SW, NW or NE) getting over 200 applicants, I doubt actually if all of them have them all too, round the edges.
    Are you sure that you are following all my advice? print out the shortlisting clickables, give them to someone who will be honest and blunt,together with a copoy of your last application, and see what feedback you get.
    Best of luck
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!