1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: where to put E.S.?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by modgepodge, Nov 11, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Loving E.S.s, they have got me 2 interviews for next week. However, I'm still doing job applications because I can't be sure I'll get either job. I went to look round one school today, and the head said "make sure you fill out the application form properly. Stick to the 2 pages of supporting statement - if it goes over, I won't read it. Don't include anything extra in the application, like portfolios, I won't read them. If you can't follow simple instructions for how to fill in an application form, I won't employ you" (I'm making him sound nasty and strict, he was really lovely actually.
    So - where to put the E.S.?? One county I apply to doesn't put a limit on the supporting statement so I have a 2 page written statement then add the ES as a third page. One which does have a limit, I put in my letter "Please find attached to this letter a summary of how I meet the requirements on the person spec" - but would this class as "something extra" that he won't read? I suppose I could use 1 page of my supporting statement for the ES but I feel like I need that space for paragraphs about how amazing I am!!

2. modgepodge

Loving E.S.s, they have got me 2 interviews for next week. However, I'm still doing job applications because I can't be sure I'll get either job. I went to look round one school today, and the head said "make sure you fill out the application form properly. Stick to the 2 pages of supporting statement - if it goes over, I won't read it. Don't include anything extra in the application, like portfolios, I won't read them. If you can't follow simple instructions for how to fill in an application form, I won't employ you" (I'm making him sound nasty and strict, he was really lovely actually.
    So - where to put the E.S.?? One county I apply to doesn't put a limit on the supporting statement so I have a 2 page written statement then add the ES as a third page. One which does have a limit, I put in my letter "Please find attached to this letter a summary of how I meet the requirements on the person spec" - but would this class as "something extra" that he won't read? I suppose I could use 1 page of my supporting statement for the ES but I feel like I need that space for paragraphs about how amazing I am!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done! Hope you are reading the interview clickables now.
    Yes, that's good.
    I think that in this case, since the Head has actually told you NOT to send anything extra, you had better not. It sounds as though it's not just "something extra" that he won't read, but would actually annoy him.
    He obviously hasn't ever seen one, or he would appreciate it!
    If there is a space on the application form to say something (often called Additional information) you could try putting it in there. But if it is specifically for your statement and says 2 pages, then don't.
    As the Head is so strict about this, you may just be left with no choice but not to send one. Sorry!
    (But if you get shortlisted, you could take it along then).
    And now you are in the habit of doing executive summaries, you are also in the habit of addressing their criteria in your letter, so you should be able to write well.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. modgepodge

Thanks Theo. I think I may write one anyway, as it helps me clarify my thoughts and not just write general waffle about how ace I am, but why I am ace for their school!

5. modgepodge

Just reread that - to clarify, I'll write it but not send it! (Don't want you to think I'm ignoring your advice!!)