1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Where are the best places to find jobs in secondary schools?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by amandawoo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. My boyfriend and I both qualified last year but are
    struggling to find jobs in the South West.
    I had a maternity cover for 9 months but my boyfriend ended up taking a
    job outside of teaching. We are now
    wondering if there are any places in particular where there are more jobs
    available as we are happy to relocate. I
    am an English teacher and he is a P.E. teacher. </font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>

2. My boyfriend and I both qualified last year but are
    struggling to find jobs in the South West.
    I had a maternity cover for 9 months but my boyfriend ended up taking a
    job outside of teaching. We are now
    wondering if there are any places in particular where there are more jobs
    available as we are happy to relocate. I
    am an English teacher and he is a P.E. teacher. </font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

At the moment? There probably isn't any. The best sites are here and eteach. A few go on guardian jobs.
    I'd find the job first and then relocate. at least if one of you finds a position they can support the other. X

4. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

The best place to find a job could probably be described as 'in your dreams' unfortunately. Sorry to be negative, but go read the unemployed teachers forum.....there are thousands of us chasing jobs and there are no shortages in any part of the country or any subject, I'm afraid. It's a con. Many teaching jobs often have around 100 applications.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

or even 200+ in some areas!

6. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

Someone was telling me recently that even one-year temp contracts in primary schools in or near near Chester usually attract 500+ applicants! I don't know how true that is but I've applied for jobs that have had up to 400 applicants myself. I think Professor John Howson does a yearly report on where the jobs were located last year for the TES - might be worth googling. Personally I would say that your chances would be best in London and the South East, especially if you are willing to take a short term contract and teach somewhere where the cost of housing is very high or where the behaviour in the school is known to be poor. I know from personal experience how hard it can be; you would need to decide for yourselves if that is something you would be able or willing to do!