1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - when to discuss (and who with) what is acceptable

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by madbutterfly, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I have applied for an internal position as Assistant Headteacher. There is one other candidate who does not have a TLR. I currently hold a TLR and am on UPS3 so the difference between Assistant Head and my present salary is £67. If I got the job, I believe I have 3 options:
    1) relinquish existing TLR and responsibilities and assume Ass HT role
    2) retain TLR responsibilties without payment (Head has indicated he would want me to continue the TLR role if I got Ass HT) and request Ass HT job description changed to encompass TLR responsibilities and maybe remove others to compensate
    3) carry out Ass HT role and old TLR role and request increase in starting point to compensate for additional responsibility.
    If the school would want me to carry out Ass HT role and old TLR role without compromise of options 2 or 3, I wouldn't want the job because I don't think an increase of £67 and the impact on work/life balance would be worth it. Hope you're with me so far! I want to be fair to the school so when is the best time to let them know what I'm thinking? When they ask am I still a firm candidate? or wait until I'm offered the job? (if I am). Also, how should I tell them?
    Thank you!

2. I have applied for an internal position as Assistant Headteacher. There is one other candidate who does not have a TLR. I currently hold a TLR and am on UPS3 so the difference between Assistant Head and my present salary is £67. If I got the job, I believe I have 3 options:
    1) relinquish existing TLR and responsibilities and assume Ass HT role
    2) retain TLR responsibilties without payment (Head has indicated he would want me to continue the TLR role if I got Ass HT) and request Ass HT job description changed to encompass TLR responsibilities and maybe remove others to compensate
    3) carry out Ass HT role and old TLR role and request increase in starting point to compensate for additional responsibility.
    If the school would want me to carry out Ass HT role and old TLR role without compromise of options 2 or 3, I wouldn't want the job because I don't think an increase of £67 and the impact on work/life balance would be worth it. Hope you're with me so far! I want to be fair to the school so when is the best time to let them know what I'm thinking? When they ask am I still a firm candidate? or wait until I'm offered the job? (if I am). Also, how should I tell them?
    Thank you!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If they don't bring it up themselves, and they just might, then wait until the job offer.
    Because until that point, you won't know exactly what is being offered.
    And bring it up by thanking them for their faith in you, and then enquiring exactly what the role is that you would be carrying out (if not made clear in the offer) and how it would be remunerated.
    Very best of luck!
    Best wishes

4. Thank you for such a quick reply! I'll take your advice and let you know how I get on.