1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - when to ask about salary and other queries!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by sunshine23, May 3, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, I hope you enjoyed all the bank holidays.
    I applied for a job (slight promotion) at the end of March, and have only now been invited for interview. This is obviously annoying as I have missed my notice period at my current independent school. The first query I have is should I inform this school at interview that I have missed my notice deadline so may only be able to start in Jan or it may reflect in my reference?
    They have also not advertised the salary. When is the best time to discuss salary? Is it better to wait and discuss it if I am offered the job, or at the interview? I am not very good at etiquette!
    Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    Sunshine :)

2. Dear Theo, I hope you enjoyed all the bank holidays.
    I applied for a job (slight promotion) at the end of March, and have only now been invited for interview. This is obviously annoying as I have missed my notice period at my current independent school. The first query I have is should I inform this school at interview that I have missed my notice deadline so may only be able to start in Jan or it may reflect in my reference?
    They have also not advertised the salary. When is the best time to discuss salary? Is it better to wait and discuss it if I am offered the job, or at the interview? I am not very good at etiquette!
    Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    Sunshine :)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh well done for that!
    Now go to the JobSeekers Forum and open the interview advice clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    Q1 No, don´t tell them, unless you want them to drop you now, which they might. They should (a) have thought about this (b) got their act together. When they actually see you and decide that you are the one, they may be willing to wait. I was always willing to wait for an exceptional candidate rather than take second best. Or they may try and persuade your Head to relaese you early, who may well mention it in his reference anyway, as you say.
    Q2 When they bring it up . . . At offer time if not before. Make sure that you know what your salary in current school will be in September so that you have a baseline.
    Very best of luck to you!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 12 days to go, both of these are nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!