1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, when to apply?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rdallas, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am an art teacher in my fourth year of teaching, currently Joint head of department.I am getting married in august and moving to a new part of the country from where I currently teach. It is important that I have a job to start in September. I am very aware of not leaving it too late to start my jobquest but wondered if you could give me some advice on sending out speculative letters. I have started to compile a list of schools in the area (private/FE/and state) and now have quite a large list (!) but I would like your thoughts on the value of sending out unsolicited letters of interest, who to address them too in the particular school and also any do's and don'ts on such a letter. Currently there are no jobs advertised in the area I am looking for...I am just hoping there will be some soon!
    Is it neccessary to visit schools ? (this would be tricky as I currently work fulltime in a very different geographical area of the country)
    Also, in the "ultimate job guide" section of the TES it mentions a job search timeline for applying for jobs but I can't see where it is located.
    thankyou
    Rebecca

2. Dear Theo,
    I am an art teacher in my fourth year of teaching, currently Joint head of department.I am getting married in august and moving to a new part of the country from where I currently teach. It is important that I have a job to start in September. I am very aware of not leaving it too late to start my jobquest but wondered if you could give me some advice on sending out speculative letters. I have started to compile a list of schools in the area (private/FE/and state) and now have quite a large list (!) but I would like your thoughts on the value of sending out unsolicited letters of interest, who to address them too in the particular school and also any do's and don'ts on such a letter. Currently there are no jobs advertised in the area I am looking for...I am just hoping there will be some soon!
    Is it neccessary to visit schools ? (this would be tricky as I currently work fulltime in a very different geographical area of the country)
    Also, in the "ultimate job guide" section of the TES it mentions a job search timeline for applying for jobs but I can't see where it is located.
    thankyou
    Rebecca

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good morning Rebecca.
    Congratulations on the forthcoming wedding! From what I understand, this means that you are going to be very busy choosing shoes and deciding on seating plans so that Uncle Bert is kept as far away as possible from Cousin Mavis, after what happened at the wedding last summer.
    Now on the issue of speculative letters, I wrote this yesterday:
    Dear Theo - Selling myself (not literally!!)
    Not too hopeful, as you see.
    However, as an Art teacher you have the opportunity to prepare a small portfolio (say 2 - 4 sides A4 as you will be paying for it), in colour, of pupil work and your own, and include it with the letter to the Head of Art.
    Worth a try . . .
    Make a visit to the Welcome thread on here for general advice on job applications - open the clickables insisde and read them. Then pop over to the Independent Forum and look at their Welcome thread for background info on the sector.
    But however good the application, what you need is a job to apply for!
    So do a JobAlert here on the TES website for each type of post (teacher/HoD) in each type of school (Maintained/Indy/Academy/FE) so that you are notified of anything possible. Jobs will start with Indy schools after January. There will not be many, so don't be too keen to reject an early possibilty - it might turn out to be the only or best one in the end.
    Good luck!
    P.S. I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the ultimate job guide or the job search timeline, so i can't help you there. Sorry!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!