1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: when should I ask for unpaid leave?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, May 12, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on the Happy Day soon to come!
    Good luck for the interviews too - do read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to get some tips on preparation.
    As for asking for a day off - I'm sorry to be blunt and nasty and not helpful, but . . . that's what teaching holidays are for, to get married in . . . I know that you'll say that you need the October half term for the honeymoon!
    A day off for house moving is commonly allowed by your contract and conditions of service. But a day off for your wedding preparations is not in the book.
    I most certainly would not ask at interview! Nor as a very new member of staff. Try and hang on as long as possible before you ask. And remember: the Head could say "No".
    Your best bet would be to get your colleagues to agree to cover your classes for you, then go and ask with a solution all ready. After alll, the Head has to ensure the quality of teaching for the children.
    Good luck and best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, we couldn't get any school holidays for our venue. I wouldn't have dreamed of asking during the interview, but wasn't sure whether to ask before the term started. I knew it varies from school to school dependent on head/governors, and am by no means was expecting the day off, but you don't know if you don't ask. Fingers crossed I get a sympathetic head!
    Cheers Theo!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's not so much a case of sympathy, Rachel, as the Head being able to ensure that there will be no negative impact on learning by your absence.
    After all, that's what his/her job is all about!
    That's why I suggested making friends fast and asking them to help you out.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!