1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - When do TA jobs start being advertised for September starts?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jimmyben, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Thanks for reading. I originally posted in the Teaching Assistants section, but thought I might get some better advice on here.

I was just wondering when, generally, teaching assistant jobs start being advertised for September starts?

I presume schools will advertise for teaching assistant roles all year round but imagine there will be a surge of jobs when current assistants move on after the academic year has ended.

I ask because I'm going to be moving to China next week for six months to teach English as a foreign language and don't get back until mid July. I would imagine most schools who know of people leaving after the academic year would want new people in place before they leave for the summer holidays. I can obviously send electronic applications from China but wouldn't be available for interviews until I get back and fear I may be too late for applications.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley

2. Thanks for reading. I originally posted in the Teaching Assistants section, but thought I might get some better advice on here.

I was just wondering when, generally, teaching assistant jobs start being advertised for September starts?

I presume schools will advertise for teaching assistant roles all year round but imagine there will be a surge of jobs when current assistants move on after the academic year has ended.

I ask because I'm going to be moving to China next week for six months to teach English as a foreign language and don't get back until mid July. I would imagine most schools who know of people leaving after the academic year would want new people in place before they leave for the summer holidays. I can obviously send electronic applications from China but wouldn't be available for interviews until I get back and fear I may be too late for applications.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ashley

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As I found out recently after an HLTA interview and I asked when the job was due to start, their reply was 'Immediately-it's not like Teaching posts!'
    So not good news if you're going to be away and you want a job starting in Sept.I would have thought they'd want a face to face interview.
    Certainly in my LA, TA posts come up quite frequently at all times of the year (compared to teaching posts).

4. Thanks for the advice Theo. I think I may just have to cross the bridge when I get back to the UK. I'll certainly keep an eye out for jobs on TES though towards the end of my trip and possibly apply online/by e-mail.

Thanks again,

Ashley