1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- When are references sought?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, May 5, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hey

Just a quick question on if references are sought during shortlistling and before interview or after interview on acceptance of appointment? I ask this because my PGCE uni tutor may be going on sabbatical and will be a little hard to get hold of...dont want it to affect my chances and I havent really got any other referees.

Also, I worked for a term at a school last year and did a lot of work for them and got on really well, the head was happy to give me a reference. However, I have recently been unable to supply there due to long term days with other schools ...surely the head will still be happy to reference me?

Thanks

2. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hey

Just a quick question on if references are sought during shortlistling and before interview or after interview on acceptance of appointment? I ask this because my PGCE uni tutor may be going on sabbatical and will be a little hard to get hold of...dont want it to affect my chances and I havent really got any other referees.

Also, I worked for a term at a school last year and did a lot of work for them and got on really well, the head was happy to give me a reference. However, I have recently been unable to supply there due to long term days with other schools ...surely the head will still be happy to reference me?

Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

References are, by statutory guidance, sought before interview. Most schools do this after shortlisting, but some do a long-list of, say, 12 or 15 candidates, ask for references, then short-list from that.
    Q1 Is there no-one else who could write the reference? Talk to the tutor, and if there isn't, you'll need to get someone else from a school that you've worked at.
    Q2 Do contact the Head about this - it should be OK, but it's always polite to ask!
    If you are a novice at job hunting, then read this thread:
    Application
    It gives you the outline for job hunting successfully.
    N.B. I shall not visit this thread again to answer a new question, so you will need to start a new one with any further questions. This makes sure that other posters know exactly what the questions are that are answered inside the thread.
    And if you want me to answer, then put Dear Theo in the title again!
    Thanks!
    Best wishes