1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - what to wear?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Crownie13, May 31, 2011.

1. Hello,
    May seem an obvious/silly question but I have never had a teaching interview before...let alone any other interview! As a primary school teacher, would you suggest wearing what I normally would to school or what someone would perhaps wear to a work interview. At the moment I am just thinking black work trousers, nice flowery shirt/top and black cardigan. Or whether to go down the like of black dress, white top underneath etc.
    Probably not an expert on woman's fashion :) but I am sure you have interviewed many teachers so have an idea of what to expect.
    Thankyou

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You need to wear something that you'll feel comfortable teaching in, but it also needs to be formal enough for an interview. What you'd normally wear to school probably isn't smart enough, but that does depend of course on how you normally dress for school. For interviews I wear a black skirt (yes, a skirt, and I'm applying for Reception) and smart top, with a jacket on top during the interview. I think a black cardigan, as long as it's smart, would be fine now it's getting warmer - you don't want to be uncomfortable.