1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, what to do?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Laura2288, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    I have this interview on Wednesday which I'm getting geared up for but today my supply school (after a year and a half of supply there) have offered me at terms work (summer) in their foundation class. The interview is for a year 4 post which lasts a year.
    Now, in an ideal world I would love to stay at my supply school. I love it there but the year post in year 4 would be my NQT year and then I could do what I like.
    The governer, who offered me the job, is quite happy to let me go to the
    interview on Wednesday and give her my decision after that but the
    headteacher really isn't happy with this option. I feel like I'm almost
    biting the hand that feeds.
    Also, my supply school is a 5 minute drive away and the year contract is 45 minutes away.
    Questions:
    1) I'm due to run out of supply in July so if I did the terms work, would i be unable to continue supplying from September?
    2) What should I do?
    xx

2. Hi Theo,
    I have this interview on Wednesday which I'm getting geared up for but today my supply school (after a year and a half of supply there) have offered me at terms work (summer) in their foundation class. The interview is for a year 4 post which lasts a year.
    Now, in an ideal world I would love to stay at my supply school. I love it there but the year post in year 4 would be my NQT year and then I could do what I like.
    The governer, who offered me the job, is quite happy to let me go to the
    interview on Wednesday and give her my decision after that but the
    headteacher really isn't happy with this option. I feel like I'm almost
    biting the hand that feeds.
    Also, my supply school is a 5 minute drive away and the year contract is 45 minutes away.
    Questions:
    1) I'm due to run out of supply in July so if I did the terms work, would i be unable to continue supplying from September?
    2) What should I do?
    xx

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, didn't I tell you, didn't I tell you, when we met last week, that you had just LOADS of things going for you! That any school would be DELIGHTED to have you on board?
    So I was right. :)
    Q1 I haven't the faintest idea, I'm afraid - you really need to ask this on the NQT Forum.
    The Govt was going to extend the 16 months to 4 years, but (a) hasn't yet got round to it, I don't think, and (b) I think - not sure - that it was only going to apply to people who hadn't even started their 16 months yet, not those who had already starting using up their time allowance. Daft and unfair.
    But I don't know whether this has yet been decided - go and ask "Dear James" on the NQT Forum.
    Q2 The Head is trying emotional blackmail on you. This hand is not feeding you, it's just throwing a few crumbs.
    Go to the interview on Wednesday. See how you feel about the drive, see how you feel about the school, think about how many opportunities there might be in a bigger school, much bigger, for a FT permanent post to come up. And think about starting your induction . . .
    And see if they offer you the job.
    THEN make your decision.
    So tomorrow my advice is to go to your Head. Do not mention the convenience of a 5 minute drive. Say instead how very much you enjoy working in a school like this, where you really appreciate the superb team of colleagues that you are working with. But that starting your induction year must be a priority, especially as there is no clarity yet over the 16 month rule. So, regretfully, you are going to go to the interview, although in many ways you would actually be pleased not to get the job, because that would mean staying with them.
    But you must try to get an induction post rather than staying forever on a supply basis, even long-term supply.
    There's no way she can object to that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com