1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - what to do when you don't have a school based reference?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by RandaM, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I have graduated in July 2010 but haven't secured my first teaching job yet. I am in the process of registering with a new agency but my mentor for my second teaching training placement refuses to give me a reference anymore. She said she cannot comment on my teaching from memory as it's been a long time and she has moved school.
    It is hard enough to find a job, why make it harder? I know it is up to the individual and I tried to contact other teachers but what if they don't get back to me? I cannot apply for a job without a schhol based ref and I haven't been in a school for a long time now... What can I do ? Talk to a union?

2. I have graduated in July 2010 but haven't secured my first teaching job yet. I am in the process of registering with a new agency but my mentor for my second teaching training placement refuses to give me a reference anymore. She said she cannot comment on my teaching from memory as it's been a long time and she has moved school.
    It is hard enough to find a job, why make it harder? I know it is up to the individual and I tried to contact other teachers but what if they don't get back to me? I cannot apply for a job without a schhol based ref and I haven't been in a school for a long time now... What can I do ? Talk to a union?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Really bad luck . . . what does the agency suggest?
    Perhaps you have more than one person from your Uni staff who could write on your behalf? Or even the first TP?
    Best wishes