1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: what things do you consider to decide if a school is right for you??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by loupoupo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi!! I have an interview this week and I know it's a very important decision as it is a permanent job and if they offer it to me I will have to make some sacrifices as it's quite far from home... I am horribly bad at guessing by the first impression of a school if I will be happy there. I had 2 temporary schools and they couldn't be more different, the first one caused me a very good impression but I experienced very bad situations there, there was no enough support, behaviour was really bad (which I didn't see on the interview), etc

On the other end, I did not like the second school when I went for the interview (the students were misbehaving in the interview lesson until I intervened, no displays, dirty, etc but I really liked the HoD. Now I loved it there: at the end behaviour is quite good and the staff is wonderful. So, when gut feeling does not really work... What things do you look at to figure out if the school is the right for you... It's so subjective... I know it's impossible to know if you will be happy in a place but I'm interested in knowing what things you consider and take into account to decide.

Thanks everyone!! Loupo

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, gut feel is important too, in my experience. But perhaps my bigger girth gives me a better gut!
    But draw up a list of what is really important to you, the things that you couldn't do without. For me, for example, it would include lack of litter - shows the children respect the school. Other people would have different ideas.
    A bit like house purchase - the essentials, and then go round mentally ticking and crossing.
    Hope it all goes really well for you. Best of luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

To be honest, if it is a permanent post and they offer it to me then I take it. You can always resign in a year if you don't like it, or indeed in a term if it is really dreadful.

I withdrew from an interview process once as the DH gave us a tour of the school and was really rude to the staff in each class, the behaviour was dreadful and the corridors a right mess of food and general tattiness.

I withdrew from another when it was clear that my lesson was not what would work in their school. They were very kind and liked the lesson and I liked their school, but we were clearly unsuited. Parted on very good terms.

I think you know long before you get to the point of being offered a post if it really isn't going to work at all.