1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - What should I wear?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by emma891234, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm a primary trainee and I have an interview coming up where I will be observed teaching and will also be interviewed.

I'm not sure what to wear. At first, I was thinking of wearing a suit but now I'm thinking will this be appropriate because I'll be teaching as well and don't want to appear too formal. I'm now thinking of wearing a dress or some trousers with a smart shirt.
    What do you all think?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Either of your suggestions would be fine for the actual interview.
    For me the key thing is to feel comfortable, so I would wear the suit to the school, taking a hanger to hang up the jacket whilst teaching & teach in the dress/skirt or trousers, whichever you feel most comfortable in. Then add the jacket, scarf, jewellry whatever for the formal interview part.
    Trousers or skirt/ dress? Depends on the age of the children for me, if it's 'littlies' trousers.
    Best of luck with the interview!

3. Thank you Lara

It's a KS1 post and so I think I'll wear trousers.

There's going to be a governor on the interview panel, what kind of questions would a governor ask?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've always worn a suit. To teach and for the interview, and any other bits and pieces they make me do. If I get too hot I take the jacket off, but that is all.

Remember every part of the day is part of the selection, even eating lunch. You may as well have the same outfit on.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whatever ones they get given from the list. Generally there is a huge list of questions and the interview panel randomly divide them up between them.

If it is a church school and the vicar is on the panel, he will probably ask the religious ones. But other than that it is impossible to predict.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

no wifi so no computer so no punctuation no paras. sorry it. so scruffy pecking away on my kindle.well done on interview. go and read the interview clickbles inside the welcome thread. some good advice there re what to wear. def a jacket when not teaching. def trousers if going to sit on floor or bend down to tinies. one more piece of sartorial advice. less is more for make up and jewellery. remember that your overall aim is to get appointed not get dated. best o luck . we lok forwad to a new thread called dear theo i got that job.