1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: what should I do when I can't get a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by KACameron, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I'm at the end of PGCE and I haven't managed to get a job. I am trained to teach secondary music and jobs have been very thin on the ground. I still want to be a teacher but I'm scared that if I spend too much time out of the classroom doing unrelated work that I won't have the confidence to come back to it and that no schools would give my application a chance.
    I've heard that supply work is a good way of maintaining classroom experience but I've been told to avoid big agencies which may have a bad reputation.
    What are the best ways that I can use my time to make future applications stronger rather than weaker?

2. Have you looked into local authority supply? I don't think all local authorities do it but many do.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A difficult situation, and one that many, many NQTs are in this year. Little consolation to you to hear that this is the worst that it has ever been for getting an induction post.
    Supply is certainly good, but it is very, very thin on the ground. Schools are managing as best they can without supply, it seems.
    A job as a Teaching Assistant is another way in, but so many unsuccessful teaching applicants have turned to that solution that these posts too are like gold.
    It is important to try and keep in touch with schools or children. Helping with clubs, Brownies, Scouts, etc. could be good, as could also Holiday Playschemes or volunteering in a school.
    With your Music skills - could you help with some musical initiative? Are there any choirs, bands, etc near you? If not, could you set one up?
    Another idea is to see if GCSE marking is available in your subject.
    I feel really sorry for all of you in this horrid situation - wanting to teach, to help children, but not able to do so.
    Do read the tips on here for trying to get that elusive job:
    Dear Theo- Applications and Interviews- Feel like I've hit a brick wall
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.